Author Topic: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups  (Read 27941 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Koromo,
Lucky you in such a sunny environment still.  Autumn temperatures are now just beginning to come to Cambridge after a glorious late summer...
Yes, of course I'll have a look for that MARTIN family of yours, unless someone pops up with the marriage before Friday.  And I do realise how populous the Martin's are, as some time in the past I was searching nationwide for a death for a Thomas Martin, and gave up when I realised there were sometimes as many as 25 per quarter.
But perhaps Wisbech St Peter's will not be quite so difficult.
very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 10:15 BST (UK) »

Ah, but at this time of year you are the lucky one - surrounded by all those glorious autumn colours.  Out here with evergreen trees, blink your eyes and you've missed autumn!  :-\

K.
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 17:37 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the Skippage family knowing only of my mother's grandmother who was born Caroline Skippage in 1844 at West Wratting to Charles Skippage and his wife Eliza (nee Twinn) - believed to have been married at Linton in June 1841.

Caroline was at the Rectory in Chelsfield Kent for the 1881 census.

Are you able to verify or find details regarding any of the following (or guide me in the right direction) so that I may then seek copies of the relevant extracts as you may advise:

1 Details of marriage of Charles Skippage and Eliza Twinn (date, location, parents, witnesses, occupations etc)

2 Details of children of Charles and Eliza (ie siblings of Caroline)

3 Birth and death details of Charles (possibly died 1892 at Linton) and Eliza (possibly died in Sept 1852 ie died young). Did Charles remarry?

4 Parents and siblings of Charles and Eliza (was this Charles the son of William and Hannah (m 1812) who had children around 1812-1820 at Burrough Green?)

5 The relationship to Charles Skippage who was married to Lucy(?) and produced several children in the 1840s at Balsham.

6 Where any of these folk resided for any census

Regards John K

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
John,
I've noted down all these details re your SKIPPAGE family, and will do my best to hunt out the truth - according to the Parish transcripts, anyway, on Friday!
Very best wishes,
keith
p.s. One thing I'm not quite sure about, and that's the location of Borough Green; the only place I know of that name is in Kent, or is this a small location in the parish of Linton or West Wratting? K

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 19:24 BST (UK) »
Keith

Thanks for your enthusiasm. Burrough Green is about 3 miles NE of West Wratting. Regards John

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi John

1841 and 1851 census indexes are available on the Cambs FHS website http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html

If you find who you want and need full details just put a post on the Cambs lookup request board and I or someone else will look it up.

For later censuses just post a request - folks are racing to do look ups!

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Wow - I had no idea that folk are so keen. I'm so pleased to get some help.
It looks like the 1841 entry is
SKIPPAGE Charles 20 West Wratting HO107/71/12 13B
SKIPPAGE Eliza 20 West Wratting HO107/71/12 13B
Perhaps they got married just days before the census! But they are missing from 1851.

and this one looks interesting for 1851 - as potential parents of Charles (but where were these 2 in 1841?)
SKIPPAGE John 62 West Wratting HO107/1761 422A
SKIPPAGE Susan 62 West Wratting HO107/1761 422A

Thanks for any help
regards John K

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Koromo,
Last week I had half a dozen separate look-ups for various people, and one out of those was unsuccessful.  This week again I had six or so requests, and the bad news for you in sunny Cyprus is that yours was the one this week that yielded hardly anything in the way of fresh results, I'm afraid.
I suppose hoping that one could look in the parish registers for Wisbech St. Peter, where James Martin was living in that Census, is rather wishful thinking.
I did indeed look in the Wisbech St. Peter Parish records, but could find no reference to a marriage, or baptisms for any of those MARTIN individuals (children and possibly grandchildren) that you listed.
I also looked for that period in Boyd's Marriage Index for Cambridgeshire, and found only 2 possibly entries for a James MARTIN:
An 1805 marriage to a Mary Waters in Coveney in 1805, and
an 1809 marriage to an Elizabeth Edwards in Wicken in 1809, though this last would probably be too late to fit with a child, Ann, born in 1806.
Perhaps if you can get hold of this family in the 1851 or later Censuses for Cambs., there might be details of where exactly they were born (and raised).
Extremely sorry,
Keith

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 October 05 08:28 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora from the South Pacific
It takes a long time for we Kiwis to wake up so I sincerely hope I am not too late for your offer!

I have a Wiliam Fairey who married Mary Unknown and they went to live in Great Catworth. Mary was born 1776 in Swavesey and I am hoping the marriage took place there circa 1796-1800. They had a son in 1806 in Gt Catworth so possibly had other children earlier.  Is that too vague a request?      I am aware that I have very little information so don't hesitate to let me know!
Thank you very much indeed for the offer.
Sincerely
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe