Author Topic: Marriage Registrations - Question Re: Fathers  (Read 2392 times)

Offline gtinCan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Registrations - Question Re: Fathers
« on: Wednesday 03 July 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to learn more about my paternal great-great grandfather, Henry Tyrell, who was born in England and later immigrated to Canada with his young family in 1884.  In 1873 he married my great-great grandmother on the Channel Island of Jersey.

I have been lucky enough to obtain a copy of the registration of marriage, which names his father as a George Tyrell and gives his occupation as a carpet weaver.

At the moment, I am trying to learn more about George and wondered if the listing of his occupation on the registration means that he was still alive in 1873.  If he was deceased by that time, was it required by law that that information be listed on the registration?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Registrations - Question Re: Fathers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
The law on registration of marriages in the Channel Islands was same as in England, and the information on the certificate was supplied by the couples, the  law requires the father's name and surname in column 7, and the rank or profession of the father in column 8.  If the couple did not say that the father was deceased then there was no way the person filling the certificate would know. There is nothing in the Registration Act that requires this information.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Henry's death in 17.11. 1914 Ottawa says his parents where George and Harriet Tyrell and he was born in London 1847.
But like you I can't find George.
Perhaps Henry's enlistment papers for the army would help WO97 on find my past or Kew.
Ciderdrinker

Offline gtinCan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both for your replies.  I already have his service record from WO 97 from findmypast - oh, and I'm 99% certain that the listing of a Harriett as George's mother on his death certificate is an error.

Cheers.