Author Topic: SURNAME - Martinge  (Read 4700 times)

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SURNAME - Martinge
« on: Wednesday 03 July 13 07:27 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know any information on this surname?
My furthest-known great grandfather in 1500s was surnamed MARTINGE but there is NO information about it... Much help appreciated

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SURNAME - Martinge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 July 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
Whereabouts was this surname recorded (eg parish records) and have you seen the original documents?
Which part of the country did the Martinge family live?
Was there only one Martinge family or several?
Did the surname remain as 'Martinge' from the 1500s up until the present time?

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Judging from the research. I have found only ONE FAMILY with this surname which is of my further ancestor. I have no records or research currently that show any descendants down, the name could have possibly changed over time. The information was found at the Parish Records for St Andrews Church, Feniton, Devon. Judging from a quick look on Ancestry. My furthest ancestor is EDWARDE MARTINGE born circa 1530 (unsure where).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 July 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
You might need to look at this surname again.

In the 1500s spellings would not necessarily have been the same as they are today - they could have changed over time and down the generations. People were not so concerned with spellings either, so if you have only found the one mention of this surname as Martinge, it is possible that the surname may have been just an interpretation of what the vicar wrote or thought they heard at that point in time.

I would keep an open mind if I were you - for most surnames there are many variations especially the further back you go.

If you have no records or research or know of no descendants, how do you know that Edward Martinge b 1530 is your ancestor? You must have got the name from somewhere - how did you come to Edward?

I think you may need to go back to the drawing board with your research, starting with yourself or what you know to be a fact (possibly grandparents or great grandparents?) and then progress backwards, and back it up with certificates, census, and parish records etc. 

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 July 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Judging from the research. I have found only ONE FAMILY with this surname which is of my further ancestor. I have no records or research currently that show any descendants down, the name could have possibly changed over time. The information was found at the Parish Records for St Andrews Church, Feniton, Devon. Judging from a quick look on Ancestry. My furthest ancestor is EDWARDE MARTINGE born circa 1530 (unsure where).

If you are relying on public trees on Ancestry, then take a huge pinch of salt!
Many trees have errors in them - and these errors get copied from tree to tree.

I have a big problem with my Vanstone line, as somebody, somewhere got confused, and got totally wrong parents at one point. Now nearly every Vanstone tree contains the same error! ::)

As Ruskie said, start with your own family, and go back in time a step at a time.
Don't jump to conclusions!! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 13 16:05 BST (UK) »
I agree. They most likely change name because in some of his descendants records, the surname KNOWLES was introduced but was spelt hugely different in the records like Knol, Knole, Knolls et cetera.

I have clarified 80% of the research so I do not that it all sticks together..

As for the surname Martinge again, it may be an early variation for MARTIN, or MARTINIQUE or something like that

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 13 23:39 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of Martinges here:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi
They all appear to be "parton submissions" so may not be accurate. Though looking at these you would need to do some work to try to connect them to your Martinges.

You said this:
I have no records or research currently that show any descendants down, the name could have possibly changed over time. The information was found at the Parish Records for St Andrews Church, Feniton, Devon. Judging from a quick look on Ancestry. My furthest ancestor is EDWARDE MARTINGE born circa 1530 (unsure where).

Which is contradicted by this:
I have clarified 80% of the research so I do not that it all sticks together..

I don't understand how you could have clarified the research and yet not have any records or research showing any descendants of Edward.  :-\

By 1841 there is nobody with the surname Martinge (with that spelling) in the census.

Does the surname Martinge pass down through the generations of your family?

Do you know the person who did the original research on this family? Maybe you could contact them to ask for the sources of their information?

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 July 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
I have looked at Parish Records and found the baptisms, burials and marriages of the Martinge's and some of his descendants. Sadly, It hasn't been traced down the name. It may have ended throughout the centuries.

I have already contacted the person who has done the research - He is where I get it from!!!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 July 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry I'm afraid I still don't understand the connection between yourself and Edward Martinge. I can see that you may have been able to look at various Martinge bmds/prs from the 1500s, but if there is no Martinge line traced directly from Edward to you, then how do you know that he is an ancestor of yours?

It is strongly advisable not to take other people's research as gospel - one simple error could lead to them following completely the wrong family. (it happens all the time) You really should go back to the drawing board - start with yourself and then go backwards to -> parents -> grandparents -> and so on.