Author Topic: Help please - tell us what you think of our Newspaper resource  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help please - tell us what you think of our Newspaper resource
« on: Wednesday 03 July 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Please could you help us out.

You should be aware by now that we have the Bromsgrove Messenger newspaper on our website for FREE, 1860 - 1937.

Now we'd like to know what you think about the Messenger resource and how you're using the newspapers.  Have you discovered a family story or scandal?  Are you using them to study some aspect of Bromsgrove's history?  Are you using them with a school or study group?

Please tell us your stories so we can understand how to make the site even better.  We now have a few years Birth, Marriage and Death announcements on a searchable index have you tried those?

Just Log-in http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/ and go to our Worcestershire Family History Forum Board and go to the General Family History Section.  On the Bromsgrove Messenger topic, click on 'Reply Topic' and add your comments.

Thank you for your time

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - tell us what you think of our Newspaper resource
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Mike

As someone with a lot of Worcestershire connections this resource is absolutely invaluable. I began trawling back from 1937 and have got as far back as 1894. I've found numerous snippets on family members including my grandfather' s criminal past - riding without lights and speeding! I've had a lot of chuckles on the way. For example my grandfather's excuse for not having any lights was that he had loaned his light to a young lady. It wasn't my Nan who would only have been 13 at the time.

As someone who lives 70 miles away from the Hive having this available on line is a great boon. Can you tell me if there are any plans to digitise any other newspapers from the area. I have done a similar trawl through the hard copy editions of the Droitwich Guardian held at the Hive. Anything that made that task  easier would be most welcome.

Thanks to Mike Stephens and any other of your BMSGH colleagues who helped make this available.

Andrew

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - tell us what you think of our Newspaper resource
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 13 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the positive comments.  The pdf.s came from Martin Stephens, who had originally ordered the whole set from the record office, entirely at his own cost.  It was through a series of family related emails that I was offered the collection for publication, with no profit.

So there are no more in the pipeline.  However, another contact, Chris El-Amir, offered us extracted BMD announcements.  These too are on-line for free.

It only goes to show that generosity in family research has it's payback!!   :)

Andrew, now that you have accessed our site please feel free to announce your family on our forum boards.  They are open to all.

Thanks again

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland