Author Topic: Chappels? Help!  (Read 607 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Chappels? Help!
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

For years I've had a copy of a photo, and have recently unearthed the original.  It is a picture of my Great Grandfather James Rosevear Blake and his two sons - my Grandfather Leonard and his younger brother Christopher.  By my reckoning it must have been taken around 1924-25.  My Grandfather was born in Forest Gate so I'd imagine it was taken somewhere around there.

Having looked at the back of the photo, all I have been left with is the inscription "You. Dad. Me. At Chappels." 

As none of them are with us anymore, there's noone to ask, so I thought I'd ask here - does anyone know where or what "Chappels" might have been?

Here's hoping!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Chappels? Help!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
in a bet my money would be on the local photographer's studio in a time when most people did not have their own camera. You could search www.historicaldirectories.online

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 05 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Clincher,

The photo is taken outside.  I think my Grandad and his brother are dressed in their school uniforms and my Great Grandfather is standing between them wearing light trousers with braces, a dark coloured collarless shirt with what looks like a lighter one underneath.  He has his sleeves rolled up and on his head he's wearing what I believe is a gatsby hat.  It's a shame my Grandad's head is covered too, as it would've been nice to see him with some hair!!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 05 19:15 BST (UK) »
...but on the other hand was one of them a musician? :D  Chappells the music shop in London is still going strong

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Afraid not!  On the 1891 census James is listed as a biscuit maker, and in 1901 was a grocer's porter.  I'm not sure what he went into after that, but looking at Kelly's Directory (1914 Essex) there was a H Chappel & Co Ltd, Wholesale Confectioners, 15 Belton Road, Stratford...a possibility perhaps?

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 June 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
Sure is...what was their home address because even today there seems to be 2 roads of that name which could fit the bill...maybe he took the kids along to see how many broken biscuits they could find :P

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Clincher,

Am not sure on that really - it's the 'recent' ancestors who are neglected.  It's something I need to look into - the most I can say at the moment is that in 1911 they lived at 9 Rockingham Street, Southwark.  As far as I know my Granddad was born in Forest Gate (1914) and they stayed around the Manor Park area until my Granddad retired in 1979. 

Regards, Emma ;)