Author Topic: Christening and Death shown on Familysearch record  (Read 608 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Christening and Death shown on Familysearch record
« on: Friday 05 July 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
When looking up christening or burial records on familysearch.org, you sometimes get a christening and death shown on a single record, the dates sometimes days apart, but sometimes months or even years apart. On the ones where I have seen the actual registers there is nothing written on them to tie the two together. So are these a type of member submitted records albeit based on the actual records available to them?  In which case shouldn't these have been omitted from the new familysearch as it's someone trying to be clever and tie two different records together?

And they are not necessarily correct. I have just seen one which has the christening date of a Maria but includes a death date 11 years later of a sister called Mary. Both records are also shown individually. Maria lived into her 70s. Just emphasises the need look at the original.

Simon

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christening and Death shown on Familysearch record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 July 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
It sounds like the records you have found are submitted records. The reference number should be a clue to that (on the old familysearch you could check this - not sure how to do it on the new familysearch)

I do not agree with you that submitted records should be excluded. Familysearch is a wonderful resource IMO but with all resources like this they should be treated as a signpost and collaborated with other sources, they should not be treated as infallible and gospel truth.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 July 13 20:10 BST (UK) »
yes on the new search I have found it sometimes difficult to work out what the source references refer to.

But on the subject of submitted records, they are stiil there under the IGI collection but thought they'd all been removed from the other collections (England Births and Christenings for example). These seem a little different in that it looks like they may have been paired them together by the LDS when compiling the records.

Simon

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 July 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
If a child is ill and is baptised in expectation that it's death is imminent- then it's quite probable the parish records will reflect both events.   

However - that is more likely to be in cases where the birth & death are a short time apart - not years.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)