Author Topic: Fishguard, Dinas Cross areas  (Read 8527 times)

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fishguard, Dinas Cross areas
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 11:18 BST (UK) »
anyone out there researching ancestors in the Fishguard, Dinas Cross, Llanychaer, Gwaun Valley, Goodwick. Manorowen and Llanwnda area!

My surname interests are primarily OWEN, JAMES, EVANS, CORNOCK and THOMAS
born and bred in Dinas Cross I have lived in Fishguard for last 4 years, with both my parents' families originating from the area.

If I can help anyone in anyway with local knowledge I'll gladly do so, and if along the way I find something about my own family all well and good!
Mellie

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fishguard, Dinas Cross areas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 05 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

A large chunk of my relations were born in that area particularly Bwlchmawr, Dinas. John (Occ Tailor b1792) & Charlotte Griffiths (b1790), my (Gx4 Grand parents) had a daughter Hannah (b1828) who married Lewis James (b1828) - my Gx3 Grandparents.

Lewis James (Ag Lab) family hailed from from Llanfair Nant Y Gof/Llanychaer - his parents were Griffith James (Occ Mason b1779) & Charlotte (his 2nd wife b1800).

If these names ring any bells let me know  :)
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline provost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Fishguard area.  I am looking into my own family in the area with the surname JOHN.

My father emigrated to Canada in the late 60s.  I am planning a trip there in the fall to visit and see what I can find out.

My grandfather Willy John was a carpenter and undertaker there prior to his passing in the late 70s.

Regards,
Christopher Scott John

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 05 12:47 BST (UK) »

Christopher,

Do you have any other details on your family JOHN from Fishguard - my father may remember him? as he is a also a carpenter (at 71 he refuses to retire)

I shall see what I can find out from him in the meantime.
Thank you for your message

Mellie

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 05 12:51 BST (UK) »

NigelG
Sorry its taken me so long to get back on here!

None of your names ring any bells I'm afraid but I shall note them down in case they appear, I'm interested in the LLanfair nant Gof connection though - as I am researching CORNOCK family from Manorowen (and hit a brick wall at 1800) but there are lots of memorial stones to CORNOCKS in the beautiful church yard of Llanfair....   

I hope we'll be back in touch
Mellie

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 05 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mellie

My James family all seem to originate from Lanfair nant Y Gof so let me know which Cornocks you're looking for and any other details and I'll keep my eyes peeled.   :)
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline provost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 05 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there thanks for the note and the offer to look into it.

I wish I had more information.  It seems like an odd place to get hung up on research but until I can get back farther than 100 years and start looking at public records it is somewhat difficult.

Willy John had a girl Rae (she is the eldest) and 2 boys, Alan Edward from a first marriage (born April 11... 1938 I believe) and Peter from a second who was about 18-20 years later.  He was a cabinetmaker and undertaker, I guess you had to wear more than one hat at the time to make ends meet.  I also believe they were baptists so the records would not be in the regular parish registers.

Peter still lives in Goodwick, he moved from High Street in Fishguard where he and his wife Patricia had a gift shop.

Offline LyndonD

• RootsChat Extra
  • ' Old and nearly vintage'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 05 16:19 BST (UK) »
Help! Just visited a chapel in Dinas Cross and thought that I would get some luck as I found some clues to relatives about 15 years ago. Graves seem to have moved or else my memory has failed!!! wrong cemetery?

Clues.    1) Family Davies seem to have originated at Dinas Cross in 1800s (Possibly ex sea captains/ vicars/ governesses)
               2) Thomas Davies buried in Gideons cem 1903 aged 65
               3)  His son David James Davies (ship's engineer and early automobilist) lived in Cardiff from around 1900 married Florence White of Cardiff around 1906.
               4)  David James Davies, my Grandfather died around 1924 and had three sons, Mendus, Marcus and Douglas. They had at least two cousins who lived at Dinas Cross; (Laurel Villa) Betty Harries was one. Her uncle or father and David set up The West Wales Dairy Products firm bringing produce to Cardiff and using the lorries in the summer also as charabancs. Went sour early on and DJD remained in Cardiff with a Motoring business in Canton into the 20s. Davies's now in Surrey and Cardiff. Any help appreciated.    Many thanks
Late informationfrom 1881 census at Laurel Villa Dinas Cross lists Thomas Davies as Head of family b 1838, master mariner aged 43 married to Elizabeth (B Dinas 1847) with daughters Margaret E (9) and Bertha E (6) also.....  Thanks again?

Update 6/06.....still no clues... although 'Harries' graves up a side rd north side of Dinas( no church just grave yard) Family graves up the slope to the right.
David James Davies married Florence White Cardiff 1906. Still seeking any information.

Update 1/08.....Still no real info about the twentieth Century although the Welsh Mariner's Index is brilliant. I have linked Capt Thomas Davies of Laurel Villa (died 1903) to the Mendus family and to the Laugharne family, all mariners at Dinas. What I can't get my head around is the number of folk from the Harries gene pool that seem to have entered the equation at each generation. Capt James Harries lived at Laurel Villa after his marriage to one of Thomas Davies' daughters. He lived there until 1950.
....any info still eagerly sought.
LD
Davies, Jackson, Webb, Mendus, Laugharne, Garfoot, Wheaton, White.

Offline panjela

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 06 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mellie, I am researching the Hughes family and wonder whether your John connection might know of them? Henry Hughes 1795-1880 was a miller at Manorowen/Drim/Trellewellyn; his son Benjamin became a baptist minister and he and his wife Maryretained contact with Goodwick until the 1920s. His son Hugh was my grandfather. We have photos of them at the mill and my aunt, now 88, remembers cousins,the five Williams sisters - Edith, Mabel , Mrs Lewis,Mrs Cann and Mrs Griffiths. The John family also lived at Drim, I believe, in the 1800s.....Any info you could come up with would be a bonus!
Bets wishes,
Panjela