Author Topic: Sturgess Portsmouth  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sturgess Portsmouth
« on: Saturday 06 July 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find a marriage for Frederick Charles Sturgess and Jane in a church in  Portsmouth or Blandford. This is them in 1901
Frederick STURGESS,  Head  24 1877 Furniture Packer Milton, Hampshire
Jane STURGESS, Wife 28 1873  Blandford, Dorsetshire
They had dau Violet age 5 Portsmouth and son John 10mths Portsmouth (Silas Frederick John)  with them both then and in 1911.
It is Jane's maiden name that I am trying to find without spending out for children's birth certs.
They might not have married, I suppose.
Any help gratefully received.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sturgess Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names of any children born after 1911? These would have the mother's maiden name listed on freebmd.  Possible surnames could be Layton, Andrews, Vine
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
Do you the names of any children born after 1911? These would have the mother's maiden name listed on freebmd.  Possible surnames could be Layton, Andrews, Vine

Hello,
Thanks for your interest. No, I don't know any of the children's names after 1911. My link is with son John 1901 who seems to have preferred to be called Frederick rather  than his full name of Silas Frederick John.
He married Elsie Maria A. Stratford in 1922 Guildford Reg Dist. Both of them died on the Isle of Wight.
According to the 1911 parents Frederick and Jane had been married 12 years with 4 living children, but only three are with them. The eldest, Violet,  is shown as born 1896 so obviously some puzzle.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Apparently appears on a private tree on Ancestry.
However you will need to ask the person direct.

"Silas John Sturgess
Born: 1900 in New Milton Hampshire England
You will also find attached to this person
    2 sources
    1418 people in this member tree
Contact denisegrist"

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Apparently appears on a private tree on Ancestry.
However you will need to ask the person direct.

"Silas John Sturgess
Born: 1900 in New Milton Hampshire England
You will also find attached to this person
    2 sources
    1418 people in this member tree
Contact denisegrist"

Ray

Thank you for that, Ray, but I have been in touch with Denise Grist on another forum and she has got it all wrong. The Milton is Milton, Portsmouth.  I can, and have proved it so to her, but she has not done much of her own research, methinks, as she cannot give me references and has none of the certificate details that I requested of her.  Not to worry. I will just have to bite the bullet and put yet another expensive cert on my list. Thanks again.
Vicwinann

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Have you found a birth for Violet??
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
 Given  what   John's    full name was  I  wonder  if the V  in this   entry is  for Violet ?

Births Jun 1897   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~

Sturgess  Mabel Helena V     Portsea  2b 495

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 July 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
I was wondering that too.  I can't see a Violet STURGESS born Portsea.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 July 13 14:01 BST (UK) »

Given  what   John's    full name was  I  wonder  if the V  in this   entry is  for Violet ?

Births Jun 1897   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~

Sturgess  Mabel Helena V     Portsea  2b 495

Having  looked again    this  is  probably  not the  one   wanted  as there's  a Mabel  V Sturgess   b 1897  on 1901  with  father William and wife ,  and  in  1911    she's still with William as Mable,