Author Topic: Sturgess Portsmouth  (Read 3726 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sturgess Portsmouth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 July 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
It is likely that Violet was born before the marriage therefore would have been registered under her mother's maiden name whatever that was  ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 July 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My thoughts and thought processes exactly. However, I cannot find a Violet of any surname in Portsmouth/Portsea registrations, so perhaps even that was wrong.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 July 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Given the age difference (4y), which isn't anything at 24 & 28 but is at "18" & "23" (conception), makes me think that another option is that the first child isn't his.

There may even have been a previous marriage.

I have started to tinker with this direction but haven't spotted anything given a limited amount of time this weekend..

Ray

ps given the IoW Strurgess link, and there are some very strong branches coming forward, have you tried enquiring from those trails? Are you on one of those trails?
I cannot mention names but will pm if you want?

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 July 13 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for working on my behalf.
My link is actually Elsie Maria A Stratford 1901-1967 who married (Silas) Frederick John Sturgess (1900-1979).
Like you, I suspect that his father, Frederick Charles Sturgess and Jane's purported first child, Violet,  is not his, and is either illegit or from an earlier marriage of hers. 
All very frustrating.
Silas and Elsie had 2 children. Only one of them seems to have stayed on the IOW.  Other than speculative work using the national registrations, I have not yet gone too deeply into that scion.
Victoria
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 July 13 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry shows 2xJane of similar age in "Blandford".
One I liked the look of but haven't had time to follow up is "Jane Aplin/Aplen"

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry shows 2xJane of similar age in "Blandford".
One I liked the look of but haven't had time to follow up is "Jane Aplin/Aplen"

Ray

Onre of  those  Jane Aplin  born  c1870/1,    is in  the  Blandford  workhouse in 1891, and 20 years later  is  still in the Blandford  workhouse

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 July 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Ok Jan

Don't like the look of that one any more.   :'(  :'(  :'(

Ray

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 July 13 20:21 BST (UK) »
Ok Jan

Don't like the look of that one any more.   :'(  :'(  :'(

Ray
Hi Ray,
Ditto, and so far none of the other Janes born about 1873 Blandford pan out either. Looks like I am going to have to buy Silas Frederick John's birth cert to see what it says.
Vicwinann