Author Topic: Lookup Request: Mason/Stewart/Warden  (Read 9754 times)

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request: Mason/Stewart/Warden
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cant help with any names or dates.
But some information on  Claremont Pres. It was built about 1905 to accomodate the Scottish shipyard workers who lived around that area. Glasgow terrace, Arygle Terrace etc.

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, reichs. I've tried looking up that church, but with no luck!!! Does the parish still exist?

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
No it doesn't.  the church closed 1996.  Congregation amalgated with First Derry Presbyterian Church in the town so their records might be held there.
S.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
The Presbyterian Church Historical Society might also be able to help with the location of old records for the church:

http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com/
Elwyn

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Probably barking up the wrong tree !!!
As a child I lived 1 street away from Argyle Terrace and went to Claremont pres. church
There was a older lady at church  called Violet Greer who died about 20 years aged aprox. 80 + and she lived in Cedar Street which was side street to Argyle Street .  I have looked the 1911  census for Cedar street and
found house for  Stewart and a one for  Ewings.   look at www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search for Stewart -Londonderry - Cedar Street.  Unfortunately I dont anyone to ask what her maiden name was .
Wonder did Violet live in the Stewart house after she married . Sorry if this is a load of rubbish !!
I love adding 2 +2 and getting the answer the fairy tale

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 July 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Elwyn!  I'll check with them.  Reichs, your help has been invaluable.  I'm currently trying to see if I can make a connection between Ms. Greer and Stewarts in the area.  Can't thank you enough, if for nothing else, trying to help me figure out the mystery!!!!!  :)

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I'm probably not the best person to give advise- I have just made the biggest mess of my own search. :'(
Thinking !! If Andrew was widowed by 1922, he may be too old to be brother to  my Violet Greer.
Is he on any of the census.?
I will try to see if I can get a look at the Claremont records.  Cant promise. 

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
Not good news  !!
I have had a look at the Claremont baptismal records since 1909. 
Plenty of Stewarts, with a  few  James, but no Andrew , not even listed as a father.
Closest I could see was Frances Mary dob. 2/9/13 father James and mother Charotte Gordon.
Found John Mason Nicholl - dob 15/1/1902  , father John Nicholl and mother Mary Jane Mason.
Also 2 children , father Samuel Stewart and mother Margaret Ewing but I cant give details because they could possibly still be alive. 
Checked communicates ,  only since 1919, but no record of Andrew stewart, or any Masons or Wardens. So will look for the early book tomorrow.
Couldn't find the marriage records book but again will look for it  tomorrow too.
It doesn't look as if they were full members. 
They may have belonged to Great James Street Presbyterian Church.
Don't worry, this is no bother because I help as church tour guide in the summer.

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 July 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Saw 2 marriages for Claremont Pres. Church
 1. 23rd December 1916 Rebecca Mason , looks like 'full' age, no occupation, , father  James Mason Residence Londonderry, to James Warden ,20 years old, Porter, father William Warden residence Lisfannon. Winessed by Joseph Quigley and Isabella Ewing.
2. 6th August 1918   Robert Mason, soldier, 25  Lewis Street, father  looks like James Mason , a mason,  to Isabella Higgins , Burt , father William Higgins  .  Witnessed by Samuel Carey and Elizabeth Mason ( is this andrew's wife)
Couldn't see anything else . Sorry!!
Before Claremont was built in 1905, people would have attended  services in the Bethany Hall in Park Ave. but I didn't see any records for there.
As I said before Great James Street Presbyterian would have been another one close to the Park Ave. area.
Hope this is some help.
Sandra