Author Topic: Glendenin/Glendonwyn family  (Read 4563 times)

Offline SoilDoc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glendenin/Glendonwyn family
« on: Monday 08 July 13 03:17 BST (UK) »
Has anyone done work on the Glendenin family background?
I have traced my grandmother's ancestors to my 7th-great grandfather, William Glendenin, who was born 16 May 1680 in Eskdale, Staplegordon. (Old Parish Records from General Records Office for Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland). He married RoseAnne Kirkpatrick 1700 in Dumfriesshire. Four of his sons came to the U.S. in 1746.
William has been attached to Alexander Glendening, 9th Earl of Glendonwyn, but I have examined the history of of the Glendowyn Baronage as recorded in "Baronage of Scotland" and this would have been impossible.  The next three Earls were only surviving sons, any brothers having died without issue. The 13th Earl was a woman and by the time she was occupying the position William's four sons were already in the U.S.
Yet, location in Dumfries and attachment to Staplegordon makes me think that William did likely descend from the the Glendonwyn family, but from a brother of one of the Earls'. Unfortunately, once one gets out of a peerage line one gets quickly forgotten, making research from across the Atlantic much more difficult.
Can anyone shed light on the family and possible connection?

--- One bit of added information that i do not trust because it includes no documentation and I have found errors in other data from this source.
This source says William was son of an Adam Glendenin, born about 1655 - unknown spouse

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Glendenin/Glendonwyn family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :)

You say that you found a record of your ancestor's birth in Old Parish Records from General Record Office for Tranent, East Lothian.  I must admit that I have never heard of this source.  The General Record Office for Scotland I believe is in Edinburgh.  The site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk provides an index to the Scottish records.  It shows a baptism for a William Glenduning on May 16th 1680 - as you said.  (A baptism not a birth).  It goes on to say that he was the son of William Glenduning at Castle, Castle being a location in the parish of Stapelgorton.

At www.langholmarchive.com it provides the text from MacFarlane's History of Langholm and Ewes published in 1907.  I would suggest it is a good source of information about Stapelgorton and its 'castle'.

One website I know of put together by a Glendinning is www.glendinning.name     You may find it useful.

Regards
Reiver

Offline SoilDoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I will check these websites. I will also have to check my source as I may have copied something wrong. I do have that the father of William was also named William, but I did not really trust that due to lack of information.
Another thing that needs to be confirmed is whether William (1680) is actually the father of the four brothers who came to the U.S.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
What were the names of the four brothers and do you have any idea of ages or dates for them?

Reiver

Offline SoilDoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 13 22:40 BST (UK) »
Charles (1712, my ancestor), John (1704), Archibald (1716) & William (1724). James (1710) also accompanied them, but returned home.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 July 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to add to your knowledge but with little result unfortunately.  I have been using the prime Scottish records of baptisms and marriages on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  I have also had a look at your earlier involvement in Rootschat postings on this family.

in one of those earlier postings a marriage date/place for William Glendinning and Roseanne Kirkpatrick was given but unfortunately I cannot find it.

I cannot find a possible baptism for a Charles or a  John round about the years you gave.  I did find one for a William Glendinning baptised 13 January 1723.  The parents were however Robert Glendinning and Mary Tinning  and took place in the parish of Wamphray.  A James Glendinning was baptised in Westerkirk parish on 23rd February 1709 but his father was Thomas Glendinning.

You say also that James (1710) returned home. There are records of burials for two James Glendinnings in the parish of Langholm and Stapelgorton.  One was on 2nd January 1789 and the other on 2nd January 1796.   Their headstones may have been recorded.  I will perhaps follow this up.

Reiver

Offline SoilDoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 July 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking for me. There is one thing I see that I neglected to mention. The family moved to Ireland prior to the brothers coming to the U.S., so when James went home it would have been to Ireland, not Scotland. I have that William (1680) died in Quaterland, Killinchy, Down, Ireland and his will was probated in Down, Ireland, so that seems to be the location in which they settled.

I do find an undocumented claim that Charles married Mary Ann Patterson 1735 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. If this is true the immigration date would have to be in error.

I have also found undocumented claims that William's father was an Adam or another William. The latter is usually listed as a son of Alexander Glendening, 10th Duke of Glendonwyn. The problem here is that Alexander died in 1616, so William I would have to have been at least 64 years old when William II was born. Possible, BUT "Baronages of Scotland" says that William, son of Alexander, died young without issue. If he died young, there is another William around ... and there is this (secondary) source from  “The House of Glendonwyn” by Gerald Talbot Clindening: "Officer in Civil War of 1644-6. William was in the battle at Worcester & was defeated, by Cromwell of England. William has four Sons listed in baptismal reg. of Stapelgorton church." He could not have been much younger than Alexander's son.

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • clendinnen girls early 1900s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 November 19 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi:)
Im studying the Book *House of Glendonwyn* At the moment  written by Gerald Talbot Clindinning a Distant cousin of my Grandfather Sidney Claude Ellis Clendinnen of South Australia
Theres so much contraversy re the Roseanne Kirkpatrick and William Glendinning lot thru Scotland
My line goes via William Glendinning and Rose Ann Fisher (via son james)   William married rose Anne Fisher (Not Kirkpatrick) in 1713 in killyleagh co down   That marriage has been found and also baptisms of their children in co down by a clendinnen researcher in england

William Glendinning was born 1673 in borgue kirkcudbright  His parents were John Glendinning and maria Gordon 
According to a family tree found in a library in Kirkcudbright...the
Glendoning Family Tree...it states that William of Borgue purchased the
estate in Quarterland in Co Down, and died there in 1764..

Apparently there is record in a library at kirkcudbright, in a *Family Tree
of Glendoning Family*..that states
*William Glendoning succeeded to Meggarland and Barcroft in the Parish Of
Borgue in july 1690, He purchased the Estate at Quarterland in Co Down and
died there in 1764

The William Glendinning who supposedly Married Rose Ann Kirkpatrick  Tho marriage has never been found  Their children were born in early 1700s in dumfriess/kircudbright  NOT co Down  and some did go to USA

But there are several trees out there with misinformation re this family
Anyone interested in researching this?i have done dna studies and so have some family members and we are picking up matches thru the Fisher Clendenin(Note first name, after mother) With clendennys..
Apparently some of fishers descendants changedr the surname to Clendenny
Thoughts Please
regards
Cathy:)
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey
Wexford...Clendinnen, Steele, Ellis
Roscommon...Carley, Fallon

France...D'Acre, Went to Ireland some Changed to DEAKER

England Direct Lines
Norfolk: Clamp, Chesney, Atkins, streek
Essex: Mountford, Cornell, Philpott, Hawkes
Wiltshire: Stone, Annetts,

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton