Author Topic: Where is Gara? Where is Tullig?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Gara? Where is Tullig?
« on: Monday 08 July 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Using the Ireland Genealogy site I have been able to find that a possible ancestor of mine - Valentine Roche was born in 1818 in Tullig, Cork. I also found his marriage cert at Kinsale on Feb 19th, 1848 which states his address at time of marriage was Gara. Could anyone who knows the Kinsale area well please let me know where is Gara and where is Tullig?? If I can find where he originally came from I can trace his parents and siblings which will be a huge help in my family research.

Thanks in advance!

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Gara? Where is Tullig?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
If you go to Sean Ruad's Townland site http://www.thecore.com/seanruad & put Tullig into the Townland search box you should get 19 results, 7 of which are in Co Cork.

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
Loads of Tulligs.  :)

For Gara, what about Garraha, the townland in the civil parish of Ringcurran?

Edited to add: And more than a few Garranes!

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Using the Ireland Genealogy site I have been able to find that a possible ancestor of mine - Valentine Roche was born in 1818 in Tullig, Cork. I also found his marriage cert at Kinsale on Feb 19th, 1848 which states his address at time of marriage was Gara. Could anyone who knows the Kinsale area well please let me know where is Gara and where is Tullig?? If I can find where he originally came from I can trace his parents and siblings which will be a huge help in my family research.

Thanks in advance!

Tullig is in Douglas parish and not Kinsale. Tullig More and Tullig Beg are near Ballinhassig village. You will find them on Google maps. None of the townlands listed on seanruad as just Tullig would be in the correct area.

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 03:31 BST (UK) »
Valentine, son of John Roche and Margaret Condon, was baptized in Douglas-Ballygarvan RC parish, 9 Aug 1818, parents' residence Tullig.  Tullig More (or Tulligmore) is in Ballinaboy civil parish, about 12 miles north of Kinsale.  It was the location of a large flour mill operated by Daniel Keleher (Keller) at that time.  The area would now be referred to as Ballinhassig.  I show another son of John & Margaret's, Patrick, baptized at Shanbally, Carrigaline (Passage West RC parish), 14 April 1822, godparents Mick Roche and Mary Tuomy.  There was also a large flour mill in Shanbally townland.  A Valentine Roche operated the flour mill at Brownsmills, Kinsale, at some time, and he is perhaps your Valentine.  The buildings were still standing when I saw them in 1983.
'Gara' would be an old spelling of Garraha, a townland in Rincurran civil parish, about 2 miles east of Kinsale town, and maybe a mile from Brownsmills. Frank Thompson

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 06:09 BST (UK) »
Alan
I thought I replied to your Personal Message, but I now don't see it.  The PM system is very user-unfriendly. You ought to have sent me your e-mail address.  FT

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Frank,

I received your PM message, thank you for the clarification - I was very unclear why my ancestors seem to be all over East Cork at different times - with the children of the same couple born in many different parishes, as I now know that Millers moved around frequently it explains a great deal.

Thank you for all the information.

Alan,

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was from Tullig, came here to Cymru and I visited many times , as a child.

A substantial amount of my research is in this area, Leap, Tullig.. It is in Kilmacabea RC parish/
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)