Author Topic: Possible german ancestors  (Read 733 times)

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible german ancestors
« on: Monday 08 July 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Looking to try and find more details about my possible German ancestors, names below.

All I have to go on is a marriage cert (scottish) see attached.

DORIT ALBERTINE MARIA MARTHA KUHLMANN  (from what I can transcribe)

Her parents were:

KAUFMANN ALBERT ANTON KUHLMANN
MARIA ELISABETH SCHREIBER

probably also worth noting Dorit married a scotsman in Fife.

Any help greatly appreciated

Martin

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible german ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya Martin - I notice that the year is 1963 - could any of these people be alive ??...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hiya Martin - I notice that the year is 1963 - could any of these people be alive ??...

Hi Garstonite,

The man in this marriage cert I know for certain isn't he died quite young (in his 40's - can't find a death cert to back this up though). He was a serving soldier in the army. (Royal Dragoon Guards I think it has on the marriage cert). He was of scottish origin - born in Airdrie 1941.

He married Dorit in 1963, not sure what happened to them after that though as I can find no trace. Rumour has it that they went off to Germany where he served in the forces. His parents still lived in the same area I live now up until the father died in 1971 and mother 2001!

No trace of her parents, although I imagine they won't be alive now.

The only thing of note on the marriage cert was how young she was - only 17, so not sure if she was born over here or not, if not would a 17 year old be allowed passage to another country without parents?

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Is there anyone with any information out there? I know it is a shot in the dark - but even help in transcribing the names of the parents (especially the brides fathers name - he has quite a few and a couple are partly illegible, at least to me anyway).

Any help in how to trace a possible overseas death (military related - not necessarily in action) would be hugely helpful as well. I know the regiment he was in at least in 1963 (marriage) says he was in the 4th & 7th Royal Dragoon Guards as a Lance Corporal.

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Martin