Author Topic: 1943 Australian Electoral Roll  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1943 Australian Electoral Roll
« on: Wednesday 10 July 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
Electoral Roll records.
Just wondering how often they update the info?
Do you have to have to always update it yourself, or is it sometimes updated automatically if some one dies or moves to another country etc.

Just asking because I found a family member on the 1943 electoral roll but he wasn't in Australia at the time. He was a POW in Germany from 1941 - 1945
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1943 Australian Electoral Roll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
In 1943 , same as today, unless someone gives the information to the elect office, the entry remains unchanged. 
In the War years and after you had to be on the roll to receive a Ration Book.

Muss

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 13 02:13 BST (UK) »
This thread just reminded me - I'd better take my marriage certificate to the electrol office.  :-[
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 13 00:46 BST (UK) »
How does one look up the Electoral Rolls for the 1940s, 1950s and 19602 in Australia?

Red
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 13 00:58 BST (UK) »
Just asking because I found a family member on the 1943 electoral roll but he wasn't in Australia at the time. He was a POW in Germany from 1941 - 1945

He was eligible to vote. Sometime during the 1920s it became compulsory to enrol to vote. He was a serving member of our Defence Forces during a time of hostilities.  So the Electoral Commission did not remove his name.   All my rellies who were in the Defence Forces during WWII, are listed on the 1943 Electoral rolls at their various HOME addresses.  None of those serving actually resided at those addresses at that time .... (most were overseas !)  Obviously there would not be a separate roll for those who were no longer resident on Australian soil ... what electorate would that be  :)

During WWI when the two conscription referendums were conducted, the men on the Western Front were given the opportunity to vote.   While I am not sure how the polling clerks determined who was enrolled, I am quite sure that the polling clerks conducted that ballot with integrity, perhaps using nominal rolls.   What I am sure about is that those who were POW at that time were not able to vote.  It being simply impossible for "the Enemy" to co-operate with their "Enemy"...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 13 01:12 BST (UK) »
How does one look up the Electoral Rolls for the 1940s, 1950s and 19602 in Australia?

Red

Ancestry has SOME of the ERs on their subscription site. FindMyPast does too.    Alternatively the historic ERs are often found in the Public Libraries of the Capital Cities.   So, for example, I am NSW Centric.  The NSW State Library in Macquarie Street Sydney has historic electoral rolls back to the 1800s for the NSW PARLIAMENT, and of course all of the NSW rolls since Federation.

They are in hardcopy format, so are polling place by polling place, within EACH electorate.   You need to know the electorate first, then you need to establish the polling place.  Then it is alpha by surname.

They are NOT lists of the names of people in a household.   They are ONLY rolls of British Subjects aged 21 years and over who have enrolled to vote in respect of a residential address.   When they move from that address it is my view that quite often they forgot to inform the Electoral Commission, so it can be that you can find TWO addresses for the same people at the same time.

In NSW in the 1800s the rolls were often prepared by Police Magistrates.   It can be very interesting to look at ERs.  There's lots of social history to observe.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 13 01:32 BST (UK) »

Red

Don't forget that until relatively recently, and certainly 1940-1960s, there were Commonwealth and State Electoral Rolls, which sometimes differed because of different voting dates.

some of the Rolls for the period have been, or are in the process of being, indexed by various FH societies.  Plus Archive CD Books has released some digitised on CD, though mostly for times before WW2.  AIGS & GSV probably have them.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 July 13 04:34 BST (UK) »
Electoral Roll records.
Just wondering how often they update the info?
Do you have to have to always update it yourself, or is it sometimes updated automatically if some one dies or moves to another country etc.

Leanne I understand that the various State Registries notify the Australian Electoral Commission when processing death registrations.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 July 13 06:47 BST (UK) »
Leanne I understand that the various State Registries notify the Australian Electoral Commission when processing death registrations.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Cando

Cando, That didn't happen about 6 years ago when my friend's husband died. She only realized she had to take his death cert to the electoral office when he got fined for not voting.
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk