Author Topic: 1943 Australian Electoral Roll  (Read 3604 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 1943 Australian Electoral Roll
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 July 13 07:49 BST (UK) »
http://www.aec.gov.au/FAQs/Electoral_Roll.htm#relative

" A relative has died. How do I remove their name from the roll?

If your relative has died, the AEC will remove their name from the electoral roll when notified by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages or if notified by a family member.
"

I am not sure when this came into effect (BDM pass on info), but in NSW I know the AEC were separately notified by both the funeral director AND by ME in three instances in the past four years.  I was not required to produce the dc, and the counter staff explained to me the newspaper cuttings of the announcements were sufficient.   Perhaps they were simply being respectful .... perhaps The Principal Registrar (BDM) had already forwarded their own notification.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 July 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
If I found someone on the 1980 electoral roll, but he died in 1927. Would it not be him, or he just hasn't been taken of the roll?
He has the same exact name first, middle and last.
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 July 13 12:39 BST (UK) »
If I found someone on the 1980 electoral roll, but he died in 1927. Would it not be him, or he just hasn't been taken of the roll?
At the same address?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 July 13 13:34 BST (UK) »

Highly unlikely, there are a number of ways in which a person could be removed from the roll besides the advice from the State Registry or a relative that a person was deceased. The AEC periodically did house to house checks of who was living at particular addresses and whilst on one hand it was to ensure people were enrolled it also picked up people who shouldn't be enrolled at that address. Also, as voting is compulsory please explains were sent to those who were enrolled and who didnt vote. These would lead to people who had moved or were deceased being removed from the roll.

Andy 

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 July 13 13:54 BST (UK) »

Wow a fantastic way of earning revenue for the government - I wonder who paid the fines because he didn't front up at the polling booth to vote ;)
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk