Author Topic: knocknamogologh  (Read 1045 times)

Offline moirae56

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
knocknamogologh
« on: Wednesday 10 July 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard of this place? Birthplace of my grandfather 1876. According to records "Births registered in the district of Boherboy".

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: knocknamogologh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Possibly the townland of Knocknamohalagh in the civil parish of Aghadown and Poor Law Union of Skibbereen.

Any other opinions?

Edited to add: Doesn't seem to fit too well with the Boherboy (sub district within Kanturk)  registration... Knocknamohalagh is well south.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
Second (and now preferred) guess is the townland of Knocknamucklagh, civil parish of Knocktemple, poor law union of Kanturk.

Now that's a lot closer!

Edited to add: Yep, I'm sticking with this for the moment!  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
One of the Sub-Districts of Kanturk is named Boherboy, mostly covers sections of Kilmeen and Drumtarriff civil parishes, no mention that I see in the listing I have of Knocktemple civil parish being included, but the boundary could have altered slightly over the years.

There are a few other 'Knock' townlands in the district, but no good other close match to Knocknamogologh though. Knockmanagh, Knocknacurring (east & west), Knocknacurragh, Knocknadrahan, Knocknavoreen, Knockeendallane, Knocknamannagh (commons, east & west), and a few other shorted townland names that dont look right..
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 18:20 BST (UK) »
here is the townland on the c1837 OSI map : Knocknamucklagh

by my reading of the map it's in Kilmeen civil parish, so maybe a mistake on the 1851 townland index ?

p.s. the townland is located abt 5km west of the town of Boherboy
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
checked my copy of the townland index, and the civil parish for Knocknamucklagh is actually 'Kilmeen', so looks like a typo on SeanRuad.

Think maybe the Knocktemple mistake came from misreading of the entry a couple of lines above for one of the Knocknamuck townlands which also happens to be in Kanturk poor law union, and the same barony (Duhallow) as Knocknamucklagh
My Surname Interests