Author Topic: John Augustus Jones - Ada Priscilla Austin  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Augustus Jones - Ada Priscilla Austin
« on: Thursday 11 July 13 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Can anyone tell me what units might have been based in Maidenhead in 1917?
I have the marriage cert of my great aunt, Ada Priscilla Austin, married to John Augustus Jones in 1917 at Maidenhead St Andrew and Mary.
He was a 33yr old soldier (of Maidenhead) with father John William Jones. The witnesses were Ada's sister, my grandmother, and a John Woods whose name means nought to me.
As John Augustus was a soldier there must have been a reason why he was in/of Maidenhead. The only John Augustus I can find was Welsh but I don't want to spend a fortune on wrong certs, so am trying to find out more before I order it.
I am completely stuck going backwards or forwards so help, please.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Augustus Jones - Ada Priscilla Austin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 13 02:09 BST (UK) »
John Augustus JONES is in Criccieth in 1891, age 6, born Bala, Merioneth, son of John William JONES. John the father was a game keeper. Does that tie in with his occupation on John Augustus's marriage. John the father was still a Game keeper in 1911.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 13 05:12 BST (UK) »
John Augustus JONES is in Criccieth in 1891, age 6, born Bala, Merioneth, son of John William JONES. John the father was a game keeper. Does that tie in with his occupation on John Augustus's marriage. John the father was still a Game keeper in 1911.

Ian C

Hello Ian,
Thank you for your interest.
No, unfortunately it does not. John, the father of this John, also in 1901 and 1911 is a gamekeeper, but on the 1917 marriage certificate it says he was an insurance agent. Hence my quandry as to whether this is the right one.
I haven't been very successful in finding John Augustus' service record either, as that might show up something.  Looking for a link with the Army and Maidenhead was a final throw of the dice as there were certainly no children registered in that area.
There is an Ada P Jones death registered in Battle in 1852, and one for a John A in Hove in 1961 which could be them, but.....
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Elements of 15th Battalion Durham Light Infantry were billeted on Maidenehead and district families in 1914/15. Perhaps a relationship arose there and culminated in marriage when leave permitted? A bit of a long shot! Or perhaps he was in the area having been treated at the Red Cross Hospital, Cliveden, Buckinghamshire which treated thousands of soldiers? What was Ada's address and did she have a job?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Imber,
I only know that in 1911 Ada was a 19 year old housemaid in Hastings for a widowed Katherine Cooper. Before that she was with her parents in Cookham. They were my great grandparents.
After 1911 I know not where Ada was. Her marriage just says "of Maidenhead". She could have just come back to Berkshire to get married. She and her husband could have returned to Sussex, so it looks more and more likely that the deaths I found in Sussex may be the right ones.
Doesn't help me much though.

There are other Jones families in the Wantage and Wallingford areas who are related to my family but there does not appear to be a link to John Augustus there.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Vicwinann