Author Topic: Russia  (Read 8760 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Russia
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 04:48 BST (UK) »
your Henry B Dobson married in St Phillips Sydney 24th of August 1847 to Mary Ann Giltinan as you are probably aware but I couldn't see a birth..... interesting......  cos one does not know if his name Bradbury indicates a placename or a family surname.........anyways he will pop up one day

:)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 08:11 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/117900115 Nepean Times 17 Jan 1946  "Home with Russian Bride"

Leanne, I think you will find that there's quite a number of your own family members who are transcribing the various sightings for your families mentioned at TROVE  :)   I have already mentioned on several of your threads that there's probably family members who have paid for various WWII service files to be digitised (the WWI files that had not been digitised were done at Commonwealth expense as a gift to the nation once it had been confirmed that none were still living.  There's many WWII veterans still living, so those files that have been digitised have been paid for by private individuals who each have been able to confirm to the National Archives that the person is no longer living).

I have checked and the cutting I have found with info about Bruce and his Russian Bride has very recently been tagged at TROVE.....  :) 

I think you will likely find the marriage formally dates from 3 Oct 1945 (reading the service record).   I have family members who were born NSW and became War Brides, departing for the west coast of the USA.   I know that the governments all worked tirelessly to re-unite War brides with their husbands, so I am not at all surprised that Maria was flown to Naples,  :) 

Perhaps you should consider contacting Penrith RSL SUB-BRANCH to see if they have information about your late Grandparents  (Mr and Mrs Bruce DOBSON).
http://www.penrithrsl.com.au/index.php/about-us/sub-branch/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 10:26 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/117900115 Nepean Times 17 Jan 1946  "Home with Russian Bride"

Leanne, I think you will find that there's quite a number of your own family members who are transcribing the various sightings for your families mentioned at TROVE  :)   I have already mentioned on several of your threads that there's probably family members who have paid for various WWII service files to be digitised (the WWI files that had not been digitised were done at Commonwealth expense as a gift to the nation once it had been confirmed that none were still living.  There's many WWII veterans still living, so those files that have been digitised have been paid for by private individuals who each have been able to confirm to the National Archives that the person is no longer living).

I have checked and the cutting I have found with info about Bruce and his Russian Bride has very recently been tagged at TROVE.....  :) 

I think you will likely find the marriage formally dates from 3 Oct 1945 (reading the service record).   I have family members who were born NSW and became War Brides, departing for the west coast of the USA.   I know that the governments all worked tirelessly to re-unite War brides with their husbands, so I am not at all surprised that Maria was flown to Naples,  :) 

Perhaps you should consider contacting Penrith RSL SUB-BRANCH to see if they have information about your late Grandparents  (Mr and Mrs Bruce DOBSON).
http://www.penrithrsl.com.au/index.php/about-us/sub-branch/

Cheers,  JM

I have been tagging and editing a lot of things on trove.
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Do you think they would have any information about them?
What should I say?

I am still in contact with Bruce's son and he doesn't know any information. I don't know if Maria ever told them about her family or any names. I will ask him if he has any information at all.
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
There's many WWII veterans still living, so those files that have been digitised have been paid for by private individuals who each have been able to confirm to the National Archives that the person is no longer living).
Apologies for going off topic Leanne, but I hope you don't mind if I ask JM a quick question regarding her above comment?  :)
JM, how sure are you that the above is the case with digitized record on the naa website? My grandfather's ww2 records have been digitized but this was not paid for by any family members.  :-\

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
Perhaps paid for by someone doing military research of some sort? (a friend did this for some soldiers he was researching for a book).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
five cents worth here>    If married in Naples.......   well there are a truckload of churches in Naples, and the big question is : as to whether or not the Mormons have filmed the particular one you seek as the LDS is currently in the throes of uploading "Italy" at the moment...... so firstly I would be keeping an eye on the familysearch.org site. Secondly I would be seeking furthering information from Salt Lake City on status of films for Naples which will have to be a snail mail to the directorate of Genealogy.
The next comment is if an Australian, obviously crossing paths with the British embassies have you looked on the FindMyPast or at a large genealogy society on the foreign nationals or expats bmds fische.

Italy being what it was in those days; a communist country in turmoil of Mussellini/Hitler, then Americans and British forces on the ground.....and,     the fact that most churches are Roman Catholic    did such a record survive............

then it is stated the marriage was not recognised..........  well the determination  of his religion is needed... and if indeed he was married in the Roman Catholic church then I would suggest writing to the Library in the Vatican City, Roma., addressing such a letter to the head archivist or going to the archibishop in Sydney.......to pass onto Rome.    Now this is all speculative anyway cos there is no proof that he actually married in Naples........

as for a few of the posts on this topic....it doesn't really matter who is correcting the transcription of the articles cos its a means to an end..... I often transcribe and correct articles that have absolutely zip to do with my research.

:)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 August 13 01:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps paid for by someone doing military research of some sort? (a friend did this for some soldiers he was researching for a book).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm certain this would not have happened in my case.  :)

[Apologies once again Leanne for veering off topic, but I am very curious about the digitization of Australian WW2 service records]

PS. A question perhaps of relevance to Leanne as well - does anyone know if there is any way to find out what date a particular service record on the NAA site was digitized?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 08 August 13 02:24 BST (UK) »
mI am in transit today,  sorry if this reply is not clear .... it will be my poor wordsmith skills letting me down,  :-[

Hi Ruskie,

(returning home to Nords Wharf NSW, from visiting sibling in NT) .... I will answer more over the weekend.  However, YES, I am quite certain re the NAA .... personal experience, needed to pay for WWI files to be digitised for both my grandfather and for great uncles.  Then years later, Commonwealth govt released funding to complete project once none were still living.   I have paid to have my late Dad's and my late uncles on both sides .... these are WWII chaps.  When ordering I have been asked to confirm they were deceased.  I have NOT sought to have any digitisation of WWII relatives who are still living.   Perhaps if Ruskie were to ask NAA by email as to when the file was digitised (usually needs to be a) examined by DoD and then considered if access is to be open or not etc .... matters of National Security etc)

Hi Marty
The reason I have mentioned the tagging and the NAA digitisation for Leanne's family members is simply to help Leanne find who else in her family is actively undertaking family history research so that they can get together and share the workload and share costs of certs etc.     You see, the cutting I found re Russian Bride was tagged days before Leanne started this current thread.  She does NOT mention finding that cutting, so I had assumed when I found it that it would contain NEW information for her, and perhaps she would be interested in following other cuttings tagged by that same person.   

Hi Aghadowey,
Yes, of course, authors often need to pay for the records they use as part of their research. 

Hi Leanne,
The article I found actually details information about Maria and her family, so if you had tagged it before you started this thread, then the info in it would have been useful to include in your OP, so that we could have started earlier on the quest to figure out where/when Bruce married Maria, and also who her parents/siblings were.  You have uploaded cuttings from Trove on this thread about Bruce.  You did not upload the cutting I posted a link to, so I continue to assume you had not found it or the vital info in it.  But leaving that thought aside, the cutting gives us all good info to follow up.   

For example, 
Maria's mum was killed in the early stages of the Russo-German war.
Maria's young sister was brought to a camp near Berlin and has not been heard of since.
Maria's father was sent to France and nothing further, has been learnt of him.

Fingers crossed that the clues spread between Bruce's NAA file and the newspaper cutting I found will give a short time span to look for the wedding  :)

Cheers, JM .  (looking forward to arriving Adelaide after sharing drive from Alice Springs over past couple of days, and then planing it to Sydney and then drive up the F3 to home)

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.