Author Topic: Matthew SLATER/ Jean KING  (Read 16522 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew SLATER/ Jean KING
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
We aren't digressing into different related lines, just pleased, Julie, that the main Slater line is getting robust for you!

With this in mind, just trying to firm up the Clinton, Mass family of Elizabeth Slater and Matthew Guy. From his children's names and census details back in Renfrewshire, I thought his parents were James Guy and Barbara Muir.

There is a death showing on Mass death database for a Barbara Muir/Guy, born c. 1808 who died on 23 January 1888 of old age. A widow, with parents called William and Elizabeth. Also a possible sister to James, a Marion Young Guy born abt 1845 who died in 1891. All deaths in Clinton MASS.

Hopefully, the marriage cert from SP for Matthew Guy and Elizabeth Slater will let you firm this up properly.

Monica

PS: Pain we cannot find Jean King/Slater/Wilson's death so far.... :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Double pain!! Just found this:

Jane Wilson King, born about 1811, died 3 Jan 1887 in Clinton...and the database I am viewing is gone into IT spin....booo!

No parents' names showing on the index which doesn't fill me with hope that the image will have this info. In fact, I think we can say (once the database comes back on) that 99% likely that no parents' names are included on that death registration  :'( I am holding on to that 1% hope as I always do, though!

William, is this the one that you found earlier but couldn't view either?

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
No Family search has been playing up for me all day. It keeps saying whatever I search for that it has found so many records and then the rest of the page is blank. It would actually be reassuring if it wasn't just me!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Update...systems back on...

Jane Wilson, maiden name King, died in Clinton of 'old age' aged 76 on 23 January 1888 (born therefore c. 1811-2 or thereabouts!). Born in Scotland. Parents... :'(

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:26 GMT (UK) »
  :o oh my gosh  ;D I have literally just woken up, and what a lovely surprise to wake up too! I can see the house work suffering today lol I cannot thank you both enough  :) my slater/king line has been dormant for so long.  I also found a different Jane brown slater who married 28.10.1870 John Coates Niven in High church. Also a Jane brown slater that had a child john Christie in DEC 1863! A cousin to mine I would think. What a confusing line  :) I can guarantee their will be no confusion when my descendants are researching us...although they may have trouble spelling my daughter's name 'schuylar'  :) again, thank you thank you both so much.
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 07 November 13 10:37 GMT (UK) »
A liitle more on directories. The national library of Scotland also has Fowlers directories for Renfrewshire in the 1830's.

1831 -32 has Mat Slater at 19 Smith Hills ho Hamilton Street. At the same address is listed David Slater warper
1834 -35 has Matthew at 20 Smith Hills No David
1836 -37 both David and Matthew at 20 Smith Hills

There are also Pigotts directories on Ancestry. 1825 -26 has Matt Slater starcher 19 Old Smith Hills while 1837 has Matther Slater at 20 Smith Hills.

Do let us know if you uncover anything more.

Regards

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much William  :) I found a family tree on the mundia site and have sent some messages to them. They had a Matthew slater born 1807 to  Mathew sclater b. 20.5.1781 in paisley married jean Barr 8.1.1800. Their children were Margaret sclater 1801, Jane sclater 1803 married henry fyfe,  john sclater 1805-15th July 1864, Mathew 1807(which fits in with the death date),  Margaret 1810 and Elizabeth 1813. 
Mathew sclater's parent's :
John Sclater b. 19.9.1756 married 22.8.1777 to jean Barr.
Apparently slaters/sclaters only married Jean's ::)
Making for lots of jean/Jane slaters and their descendants.
I am trawling through some old paisley records and have some leads on the Willson connection. I will let you know for sure  ;D
It is Jane/Jean King that I am most interested in because she is the mother of my mum's mum's mum's mum's mum's mum lol
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Jean King is going to prove tricky. With lack of parents' details from her Clinton death registration, we are still looking at best guesses so far.

A few thoughts:

Curious who the Catherine Campbell is who showed in the Wilson household for 1861. As we saw, also in the household, she had named her illegitimated daughter Jane King Campbell....why?!

Also from the 1861 census, the other lead showing was the 10yr old niece staying with the Wilsons, Isabel King born in Paisley. Her parentage may lead to you sibling of Jean King (assuming the term niece is correctly being used, wasn't always).

Jonn mentioned earlier the using again of the name Helen/Ellen for Jean King's daughters. Worth keeping in mind for possible close King family names.

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
As Monica suggested finding more about Isbella King, the niece in the 1861 census may be a way of finding more about the King side. I cannot see a birth for her. There is a birth for the daughter of Christian Campbell, the lodger Jean King Campbell. She was illegitimate. Perhaps if you find a marriage or a death for Isbella King it would tell you the names of her parents. Presumably the father was a brother of Jean King.

William

See that Monica has had the same thoughts!