Author Topic: William Kemp, Southbridge  (Read 4186 times)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Kemp, Southbridge
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't have any street addresses, all I know comes from either certificates, which don't give such details; and publicly available records, like directories. And, with a relatively common name like William Kemp, it can be a little difficult to be sure I'm on the right track - especially when some of the details don't fit with what I thought I knew! Luckily Southbridge is a small enough place that there's unlikely to be too many people of the same name. Hopefully more references to him can be found, either in Southbridge or Ashburton, that might confirm the 1926 death, which indeed is looking like the right one. Would be nice to fill in a few gaps though :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 04:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry, not able to assist with Electoral roll lookups for 1922 & 1925 - as these are not available online.

If you're near to a larger library, you should be able to view these on microfiche.

It looks like Southbridge (formerly part of Selwyn electorate), came under Ellesmere from 1890.
Ashburton should be relatively easy to search.

~  Lu

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 06:39 BST (UK) »
I saw the W Kemp who worked at Southbridge Railway Station mentioned as Mr W.J. Kemp in Papers Past in 1915, and he was a clerk (my William was a gardener/labourer) - this possibly rules him out, especially since, as far as I know, William didn't have a "J" in his name.

Possibly relevant - 1926 William died at ? Home in Netherby. I can't quite make out the name of the home, it looks like "Inarangi", but apparently there was a "Tuarangi" Old Men's Home in Ashburton. Perhaps there are some patient records out there?

Offline normg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys, new to this site.
William Kemp and Elizabeth Kemp (Bryant) were my great grandparents. When they arrived in NZ the "e" was removed from Kempe due to the name sounding German and the anti German feeling about at that time. In the Lyttelton Times dated 13 July 1913 it stated: The friends of Mr Wm Kemp, Leeston are informed that the funeral of his late son William will arrive at Sydenham Cemetery on Monday 2.30pm. I presume that this was the William Jnr aged 9 when he arrived in NZ which makes him 36 at the time of death. Elizabeth Kemp died in 1908 but so far unable to trace her husband William who was still alive in 1913 according to the newspaper article. Still searching records etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Norm