Author Topic: Link: Our Weather in History  (Read 3179 times)

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Link: Our Weather in History
« on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this appeals to anybody but myself  but this site

http://134.36.96.5/FMPro?-db=Hydrochronology.FP3&-lay=Layout%20%232&-format=search.htm&-view

has a database of historical weather events which can be searched by place name or by date.

Useful background information I think.

Stu

Ooops!! I have had to change the link to the full version, for some reason the shrunken version came up as an error.
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Weather in History
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting site - thank you very much Stu. I am amazed at the number of times Salisbury Cathedral was flooded1

Helen
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Weather in History
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:45 GMT (UK) »
A very interesting link - thank you Stu. 

I'm looking for one that examines the results of the eruption of the Laki Volcano in 1783/4

Looking through a Norfolk Burial Register I found there was a big increase in the death rate,at around that time. Then I read that a lot of people died from the sulphur cloud in the UK, especially in the Eastern counties and among outdoor workers  According to Wikipedia 23,000 people in the UK died from the cloud and another 8,000 from the extremely cold winter that followed.

Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire