Author Topic: Heffer - Stapleford lookups - Please  (Read 5105 times)

Offline paulles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Heffer - Stapleford lookups - Please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 February 19 12:44 GMT (UK) »
There's something going on with Ann (Frances Ann) Heffer and John Andrews.
I'm wondering if they only got married to gain a cheap fare out to New South Wales (Australia)
It appears by Death Certificate and Immigration details that she was born Ann Heffer in Stapleford about 1834 To Edward Heffer and Mary Ann, I believe to be Ison.
She marries John Andrews on the 29th of January 1853 in Stapleford and on the 3rd of July 1853 they both arrive in New South Wales aboard The Meteor.
Then she reappears in Nelsons Plains in 1855 supposedly married to Reuben Richard Richards and her name is now Frances Ann. Definitely the same woman as the previous marriage is written on her death certificate. Ann and Reuben moved up to the Manning River region.
Now what is interesting is that a book about another woman in the Manning River Area, Isabella Mary Kelly, mentions the marriage of Reuben Richards to Ann Andrews in Nelsons Plains but states that Ann is her house servant and that Ann has a brother "John Andrews".
So back to my original question. Is it possible that Ann and John married for the sole purpose of a cheap fare to New South Wales and never intended on living as husband and wife and passed themselves off as brother and sister and possibly never got divorced? This may also explain the addition of "Frances" to her name to cloud the issue. There is NO record that anyone can find confirming the marriage of Reuben and (Frances) Ann. Just their death certificates which is no confirmation.
Richards, Alexander, Heffer, Burdett, Wise, Brien, Hatton, Robertson, Inglis, Giffen, Smyth, O'Connor, Davis.