Author Topic: It looks like Ancestry are doing away with the old search  (Read 3330 times)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Re: It looks like Ancestry are doing away with the old search
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Larkspur
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
Marg, I have just been having a "play" with the new search. Looking for my great grandfather, information I can find easily on old search by just entering his name and Nottinghamshire. On the new search- PLEASE, I have to fill in so many boxes and then it only brings up the 1911 census. How does anyone possibly think this is better? I filled in the survey, some quite odd questions on there, so I suppose they can turn our answers around to ones they like. I cannot believe only 2% use old search.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would inform Ancestry of what you have just done, and see what they say, I am going to ring them and cancel  my sub if they remove it
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Just glad i've got just about everything I can find in the databases they have....

Think most of us on here must be. part of the 2%.  ::) Or maybe, like me many are not renewing their membership.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 23:07 BST (UK) »
I think this is going to result in the public online trees being even more inaccurate than they are already.

Not all of them of course, because there are some very well researched ones.

However, the "new search" results are so vague and many people seem so slap dash with their research that they will probably just accept any old results and take it as gosple.

Beats me how Ancestry think that the "new research" results are offering us a good service. Surely they must see that "old search" is far more accurate.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 July 13 00:51 BST (UK) »
I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments made.   I too, just did a 'New' search of one of my ancestors, under the 'Advanced' screen as the initial screen was just not specific enough.   The results came up on the right half of the page, in separate boxes and I had to scroll down the page.   There were around 8 different results I think and then there was listed 12 pages of people that didn't match but whom I might be interested in!!!   I should add I was searching for someone who was born and lived in Ipswich, Suffolk UK and the first person I 'might be interested in' was someone with a totally different middle name who was born and lived in Pennsylvania, USA.

We've had numerous threads from 'Beginners' here on Rootschat who are new to family history, subscribed to Ancestry, and can't understand the results screen.  The 'matches' aren't who they are looking for.   We suggest they switch to the 'Old Search' screen which is faster, and more accurate, and they are unaware that it even existed.

I rest my case!

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 July 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, the first results do always seem to be overseas, even though you specify uk. I had worldwide membership last year and recently changed to premium and have come to the conclusion that they give us these results so that we'll upgrade and examine the overseas results.

Forgot to add on my previous post that I think the results of people accepting obscure and incorrect information on their trees will perpetuate the errors because Ancestry hints are based on the fact that people have "Joe Bloggs" on their tree, with this 1841,1851, 1861 census etc and perhaps 2 of the census results are the wrong ones.........oh, but that's fine because this is what inexperienced reseachers have accepted , so it's fine.

In other words in 5 years or whatever, the results are going to be even more obscure because they are based on averages rather than information relating to the search you are making.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 July 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
I have just contacted Ancestry about the old search, they have given me an e-mail address to make my complaint, I am not sure if I can post it here, so if anyone wants it send me a PM
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 July 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
I just been on the Ancestry site, on Facebook, and there are some people complaining about this, so if you are on Facebook put your complaint in
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich