Author Topic: Mary Brierley Cotgrave 1768  (Read 4846 times)

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Brierley Cotgrave 1768
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Notts girl,

Thanks for all this.
Wishorn, Wissaw, Wishaw all seems possible in that era of literacy.

I am assuming all of this is Cotgrave information,
The 3rd marriage and subsequent James death look more like they were the second James b 1715, son of James than the original.
I have a couple of other deaths/burials presumed at Cotgrave  which i have not traced yet, If i get the names together would you mind having a look for those ?

Thanks again
Chris
Fletcher, Wright, King, Bull, Bray,Mee, Quenby, Waldram  Leicestershire
Butler, Lewin, Thurman, Voce  Nottinghamshire
Jackson, Dunnicliff, Cook,White Derbyshire

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

On reflection i am not sure that the only daughter Elizabeth mentioned here, born 1715 was my one.
My Elizabeth did not marry till 1760 ( So 45 years ) and had children till 1778 (So 64 years old )????

Pity there is not an Elizabeth born about 1740 (Of the later James marriage ? )    There is a suitable gap there

Chris

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 August 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, my mums maiden name was Thurman and we are descendants of Mary Brierley. I have her bapt at Cotgrave in 1768, the daughter of Richard and Elizabeth nee Wishaw and marrying Thomas Thurman in 1793.
        Did you know that their son William, from whom I am descended was forced out of Tollerton by the Squire in a  dispute over land or that their son Thomas was sentenced to death, commuted to transportation for life?.
        My great grandfather Charles Thurman wrote several accounts of his life and a diary extract says that Mary was said to be a great talker by her grandson Thomas who was Charles father.
         I also see that you are interested in the Voce and Lewin families, well the above William Thurman was married to Rachael Voce the daughter of Samuel and Mary Hanbury and I also have various references to the Lewin family.   Hope this is of interest. best regards, Pete.         

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 August 13 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply,
We are searching the same lines of ancestry here, I am descended from Thomas Thurman & Mary Brierleys younger daughter Mary Thurman (Baptised 18  Feb 1806 Tollerton)
Mary Brierley is my 3rd Gt Grandmother, so I am probably 4th cousin of your mother
I knew of Thomas being deported to Australia from various documents and a reference in these to Williams dispute with the squire Pendock Barry, but did not know he was forced out of the village by the evil squire, I do have him later in Edwalton though.
You probably have the Thurman Methodist history at Cotgrave I guess.
My Mary Thurman married William Lewin so I am interested in the Lewins also, I willl send you a Personal Message to communicate more
Chris

Offline Henry Barrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 March 23 05:01 GMT (UK) »
For anyone interested in Mary Brierley 1768, I have a handwritten book by Charles Thurman 1861 that has a first hand account of her. 
Mary is my ggg grandmother.
My name is John Thurman, grandson of Frederick Octavius Thurman.