Author Topic: Ward Trees/DNA (Midlands - Derbys, Notts, Yorks)  (Read 471 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Ward Trees/DNA (Midlands - Derbys, Notts, Yorks)
« on: Saturday 20 July 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
I am seeking any Ward researchers, but especially those whose families have connections to the Midlands, who might be interested in DNA tests to progress their research.

My tree begins with the family of Soloman Ward in South Normanton, Derbyshire and appears to go back to a Thomas who married Hannah Greaves in Pleasley, Derbyshire and baptised his children there.  I estimate Thomas to have been born circa 1710 to 1720, but he wasn't baptised or buried in Pleasley.  The problem with both a common christian and surname is that Thomas could have come from almost anywhere and so I am stuck, stuck, stuck.

I have recently received my Ward Y STR 67 marker DNA results and whilst still very much a DNA novice, am learning lots and having fun.  It would appear that the results are surprisingly similar to those of the "Ancient Stewarts" and this has been further confirmed by testing positive for SNP L744+.  I am awaiting the result of a SNP L745 test which has kindly been sponsored by the DF41 Project.

It would be extremely helpful to have other UK Ward Y DNA to compare and the name is certainly populous enough for it to be worthwhile and meaningful.  It might mean that we can pull some of our diverse paper trees together or discount others, and identify common ancestors. I would be happy to receive PM's if anyone has any queries on the process, etc.

Just for once it might be advantageous to have a common surname!

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne