Author Topic: Who would be able to help obtain a copy of some pages at TNA?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline SydneyAuss

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who would be able to help obtain a copy of some pages at TNA?
« on: Saturday 20 July 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Would really like to get a copy of the page, relating to the service of my great grandfather in the Macedonian Mule Corps regiment in the 1st World War. I received a quote from the National Archives at Kew, and can say the price was quite high - particularly when you already know what you're looking for.

I would be wiling to pay for a researcher who lives close by and who would be interested in obtaining a copy or two of my great grandfather's service in the Macedonian Mule Corps. Please private message me if interested.

The two reference numbers I am interested in are WO 405 and WO 405/1. WO 405 series contains eight registers, listing the men of the Macedonian Mule Corps, a corps raised by the British army in the First World War. The registers contain a single line entry for each man, giving his number, rank, name, period of service, next of kin, home address and the occasional further remark. The entries are arranged in number order and there is no index by name. WO 405/1 provides notes on the corps and registers of muleteers Nos: 707 - 13307, with introduction and records compiled by Major J.P.B Condon (Royal Irish Rangers) and photographs.

I would like to get a copy from each of the reference numbers WO 405 and WO 405/1 that details my late great grandfather's service and particulars. Thankfully, I have his service number, name, and address to make the locating of his pages very easy.

My great grandfather's details are as follows;

Service number: 13138
Name and Surname: Georghios SYMEOU
Address: Peyia, Paphos
Corps: Macedonian Mule Corps

Kind Regards  :) :)

Anthony

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
Re: Who would be able to help obtain a copy of some pages at TNA?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony,
I'm in Australia too...

a couple of things... you mentioned Condon, but I dont know if he is part of your family.. if he is, I know a family in Australia who would love to learn about the family connection... they are in Victoria.

With your Mr SYMEOU
I have gone straight to the National Archives of Australia for a first stop.... because the British subjects have some records on the Australian archives too...  I can see records for the family... there are at least 2 Georghios in the family... one born 1924, one born 1927 and being British subjects, I would assume they are born within British land.  But there are a few records for people who could be siblings too, its worth looking.. Here is the link. IF the records have not been examined, you can request it.. they are free if you are willing to wait around 12 months, otherwise they will give you a quote (most look open but not online yet, so some are a waiting game... but there are a few worth looking at... entry to Australia especially... it has addresses).

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ListingReports/ItemsListing.aspx

I have checked the obvious free places like the Australian War Memorial and Imperial War Museum of the UK but nothing shows up for SYMEOU.

BUT.... the Imperial War Museum DOES have info on the Macedonian Mule Corps... and the surname shows up, just not when I search.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/searchlives/field/unit/Macedonian%20Mule%20Corps/filter

I feel our servicemen have paid the price and war records should be free... whether they came home or not, they paid the price.   My advice on getting the records for free would be try a free trial on FOLD3.... but before you sign up for the free trial, make a list of who you want to research... you will be able to download service records free from there... assuming the Macedonian Mule Corp is included.... should be because he was a British subject.

OR head into your local library, sign up for free and try to access the Ancestry library edition, which should give access to service records. 

I know Find My Past has service records too... but you pay... unless you have a free trial....

I hope that lack of information helps you... sorry I don't have the records you want... but there may be a way around the $$$$$ that archives expect you to pay.

I am going to have a look tomorrow.... its after 10pm here and I am heading to bed.... need sleep. But if I don't reply, I will forget, .....

actually.... sign up for the National Archives UK (free)... there are some records you can 'add to basket' for free if you are signed in.  they are pdf and may give you a little info. I just added one for another soldier in the same corp.. to my basket so will try yours tomorrow too...

IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)