Author Topic: 6 Year old child buried on Wonnaminta Station  (Read 12987 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Year old child buried on Wonnaminta Station
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 April 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hullo Aquitine, I am unsure what you mean by my comments/opinions on Wilcannia? Is one not allowed an opinion? Unemployment and discrimination aside I did recommend stopping there. As you don't know me at all, your only knowledge of me is a few short words. You forget I did ask some locals what was happening and the only forthcoming information was a grunt, I kid you not. :-\

I don't discriminate between peoples of any race, creed, colour or political persuasion anywhere in this wide brown land. I am well travelled in my home state as well as in all the other states and territories and the only people I find who discriminate, are those who, with little information form opinions without getting the facts.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline aquatine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 April 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
 Hello Kaybron .... I am not sure where a death would be reported. Wikapedia tells me that White Cliffs was settled in the late 19th century. Milparinka to the north and Silverton/Broken hill or perhaps Eurowie to the west. There is a grave with a very interesting story on the edge of Cobham Lake, maybe 12 miles or so from Wonnaminta. It is of an Eliza Kennedy. Her headstone reads
 "HERE LIES ELIZA KENNEDY - DIED SIXTH JANUARY 1886 - HER CHARITIES COVERETH A MULTITUDE OF SINS"    She died of epelipsy
If you can find the record of her death, this may be of some help. I think I may be able to get some information for this grave if needed. note. Eliza Kennedy, nee Coleman was a native of Ireland and not from the Kennedy family that settled Wonnaminta. I have many recollections from my youth about Wonnaminta and the surrounding area.If you would care to contact me at * I am sure you would find it interesting...... John.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 April 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

The moderators will probably very shortly remove your private email address as you are not allowed to put these on the forum.  Under the Census information on the left of the screen there are 2 symbols.  If you click on the one that is on the right (the notepad symbol) this allows a personal message to be sent.  You can do this after you have made 3 posts and this allows you to make contact privately and you can also exchange private emails.  I will contact you shortly as I am very interested in hearing about your time in the area of Wonnaminta and outback NSW.

Regards Kaybron

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 April 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
If you would care to contact me at xxxxxxxxxx I am sure you would find it interesting...... John.

Hi there aquatine,  welcome to RootsChat.

Like Neil,  I have a fair understanding of community, particularly in the Western Division of NSW.   I have a fairly good understanding of Wilcannia and nearby localities and some of my immediate family members have long standing commitments in respect of crisis management in the district and further afield.   May I please request you remove your email address, and consider sharing it via the Personal Message facilities.  Threads at RChat are easily found via Google and similar search engines, so it is not a good idea to display your email addy.   

It is great to read of your first hand experiences, and I can confirm that White Cliffs was settled in the latter part of the 19th Century.   There's some good reference material held up at Bourke in the Library (I was most recently there in August 2014,)  There's far more material offline than online. 

Cheers, and again, welcome to RChat

JM (NSW Centric)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 April 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
From 1856, ie the commencement of civil registrations, sudden deaths needed to be reported to the police.  It was possible to obtain permission to bury from the police, even before an inquest was held if the police were satisfied there was no foul play (hygiene issues for the local community, in era before morgues with cool rooms).    The responsibility to register the death (until about WWI) was somewhat confusing as was finding a qualified coroner and or a funeral director.   Afterall, there was not a huge urban population, so as the need to register deaths is dependent on the frequency of these events, there's every reason to understand that even the deputy registrar, or the local police magistrate may not know exactly what to do, particularly when the burial is on private ground.    Even in metropolitan areas or even in 'towns' like Bourke, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that the registration process 'broke down'.   From after WWI, the regulations became more formalised and the funeral director was required to register/file the information.   Previous to that, there's Coroners who issued burial orders and did not register or require subordinate staff to register the death,  there's Police magistrates who issued burial orders, and did not register deaths....  and of course, there's parents who attended to the registration process as best they could.   

So, the clerk acting as a Deputy Registrar at a local police station/sheriff's office/court house recorded into his local ledger.  Book facing the clerk,  and the clerk asking the questions.  So, not just informant driven, but VERBAL questions and verbal answers only.   When ready, the clerk then turns that ledger to the informant and says "sign here".   Informant signs, or makes their own mark if not yet literate.   And then IF the clerk remembered, once each quarter year (April, July, October, January) a summary of the registrations is sent by mail to Sydney.   

Anyone ever visited an older style court house, even those still used in the Central West of NSW, will know the high and wide counters in the "Admin" section (about 4 ft or higher and about 5 ft or wider).... Ledger book fits under that  :)

I am 5 ft 6 in tall, and standing on the 'railway sleepers' in front of the counter at "general enquiries" of a court house in central west of NSW in January 2012, chatting with the officer on duty.   If you were not yet literate, and it was late 19th century, and asking how to register a death of your own 6 year old child, and grieving, it would be very confronting to stand at any similar counter.

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 April 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
It's like that where I live JM and as I'm not tall it can be quite difficult signing

documents :)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 April 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
The registration at NSW BDM is #14512/1889

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 April 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
It's like that where I live JM and as I'm not tall it can be quite difficult signing documents :)

Yes, those counters even today are 'too tall'

Many Cheers

JM

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 April 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi majm,

I do have the certificate for the death.  This is where the problem lies. The death certificate gives details that are outlined in my first post. The certificate states the child's death and burial is at one place and death is due to dysentry and her father has stated in newspaper reports 40 years later that she was left (buried) at another place although he does not say how she died. Family members have always been told that the child (aged 18 months) died from falling from a wagon. Station managers also have said that they are 95% certain that the grave that is on Wonnaminta Station is that of the child in question.  Myrtle White does make reference to this grave in one of her books but she states the child is 6 years of age which is not the correct age of Annie, our child.   

The problem is do you go by the death certificate and discount the grave on Wonnaminta Station completely as the wrong grave or do you believe the father lied about the circumstances surrounding the death to avoid an inquest and also that perhaps he misled others as to the age of the child. 

Thank you majm for the information about deaths and reporting to police. The death was reported but the circumstances surrounding the death may or may not be correct.

Regards Kaybron