Author Topic: Hand Writing Expert Help please !  (Read 1014 times)

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hand Writing Expert Help please !
« on: Sunday 21 July 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone who is good at deciphering handwriting have a look at the documents, that i think i have attached correctly,and see if the signatures of Alexander Robertson/Norval are one of the same person.
regards colcal

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HAND WRITING EXPERT HELP PLEASE !
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 July 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
All there is to go on are the capitals A & R, which were taught in very standard ways. I would say the R is not the same. And that the attestation signature looks a lot more confident. When did he assume the name of Norval? What was his occupation on attestation - does it tally with the baptism?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 July 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Yes, as you say, all children were probably taught to write, at that time, the same way.  I did think the A from the second signature and the R from the 1st top line signature looked the same, its such a close call.
 I have only just found this particular Alexander Robertson and as yet do not know why out of all his siblings, he is Robertson/Norval. I have been searching for the man who's signature is on the birth certificate (attached) but unfortunately that is all I have got. As I do not have a date of birth, no appearances on the mothers death certificate, they did not marry, the only thing I have to go on is  that they lived at 21 Crown Street, Glasgow  and comparison of handwriting.
regards colcal

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
I would think that the first mention of Alexander Robertson as father in the 4th column [with mother's name also] on the birth certificate has been written by the registrar, the father has only signed his name in the 5th column. You can see the mother's name is written in a different hand in 4th [registrar] & 5th [signature] columns - check the middle A.  The first occurrence of the name on the attestation is similarly written by a clerk. 

What date was the attestation?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline peterh47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 July 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
Most of the entries appear to be written by a registrar or administrator. The only 'signature' may be the one that says 'Alexr R Norval'

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 July 13 16:15 BST (UK) »
Just looked at the attestation again and yes Peter you are right, it looks like the only signature of his is the one signed Alex R Norval. I would say the A and the o is similar to the fathers signature on the birth certificate, buts that's not enough to make a match. What a shame, I really thought I had cracked this nut. Back to my endless search.
kind regards colcal

Offline peterh47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 July 13 17:00 BST (UK) »
You're welcome  :) but sorry it was not what you wanted to hear.

I would just point out that the signature seems to be 'Alexr R' not just 'Alex R', the small 'r' representing the one at the end of Alexander and the capital 'R' for his middle name. This may be helpful in determining whether any other examples area match.

The use of a surname as a middle name often indicate a mother's maiden surname.