Author Topic: Oak Bank, Radlett, Hertfordshire  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Oak Bank, Radlett, Hertfordshire
« on: Tuesday 23 July 13 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hello!

My grandfather's mother migrated to New York in 1867.  Some of her sisters moved the family only to move back to England in Radlett.  When I found a Christmas Card from one of my mother's great aunts, it stated S Stephens 23 Cross Path, Radlett, Hertfordshire, England in 1937.  When some of the aunts died, the probate calendar stated Oak Bank, Radlett. 

I am trying to find the burial spots of all of the aunts and relatives that died.  What would have been their parish church...and were the churches still allowing burials.

Sophia Frances Andrews Wylde B Abt Jan 1858 Constantinople Turkey D 31 Oct 1941 Radlett
Caroline Annie Wylde B 1st Q 1861 Ingatestone D 3 Apr 1918 Oak Bank, Radlett

Where might I look for a cemetery there...thanks EVER so much!

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oak Bank, Radlett, Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 07:38 BST (UK) »
Christ Church, Radlett has burial records 1887-1943 at Hertfordshire Record Office.

Opposite the church is Watling Street Cemetery - a possibility?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole (hope you are well?)

I remember (parts of ) this story . . . . . .

2 sisters "of private means" living "Loom Lane".
(Never did prove Oak Bank is/was also "The Cottage" on the corner of Loom Lane / Watling Street.)

22 (23?) Crosspath is the Roman Catholic church (St Stephen's)
http://www.rcdow.org.uk/radlett/
eMail radlett [-- at --] rcdow.org.uk

Sophia's probate listing point to these details   ;D

Ray

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Whoops!
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

The Times, Monday 3rd November 1941 Pg 1, Issue 49073; col A .

Wylde - on October 31, 1941 at St Stephens, Crosspath, Radlett, Sophia Fewtrell Wylde. Funeral Radlett Church, noon today (Monday) No flowers please.

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello All!

Hello again from sunny an OH so HOT Texas...whew.  Been here since graduate school and the summers do not get any better...but the winters are wonderful!

I cannot thank you enough...

When they do state Radlett Church I would imagine that was the English Anglican Church...am I right?  If the funeral was held there...and thanks EVER so much for that news clipping....were they still allowing burials or would the cemetery have the funeral records across the street.

I have been volunteering about 30 or more hours a week helping many with their family trees...calling in the US and to Canada is free...so I have been calling cemeteries all over the nation because they usually have wonderful records. 

I need to look into international calling to the UK so that I can make several phone calls over that way in order to find the burial information for my relatives.

Thanks again...does that cemetery you mention have burial records online perchance?

Thanks EVER so much...am truly indebted to all of you!

Carole in Dallas suburb Plano
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

St Stephens is a Roman Catholic Church so I think the best way to go, in the first instance, is via their email address.

[ Even though the burials may be in the same cemetary "across the road" ]

Ray

Reading Sarah's find, the name "Fewtrell" (and not Frances) is interesting?
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all of your help....

I too find it interesting about the Fewtrell...Fewtrell was part of the line that handed down the crest and titles and property to a gentleman in the Wylde family.  In her baptism records I thought it was Frances...hmmm.  My direct line had married Ann Dowdeswell granddaughter of 2nd Viscount Robert Tracy...one of their daughters married a Wylde.  This Wylde line goes back to the Commandery in Worcester. 

Part of the Wylde family married into the Barrow Family...John Barrow, Magistrate of Wedmore.  I have Elizabeth Barrow hanging on my wall here.  She married the direct line to Tracy in Henry Wylde and they immigrated to New York in 1867.  His father was Robert Wylde, educated at Oxford, and Vicar by vocation.  Robert married twice.  My Henry is his seventh son out of eleven children...he was but one years old when he father died!  His mother was pregnant with a younger son at the time of his father's death! I am sure they fell on difficult times!  Out of all of those children,

I am trying to find the burial spots for all of their children so that we could go visit them. 

Thanks again for all of your help!