Author Topic: News paper archive 1937  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: News paper archive 1937
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
Derek,  went to a book-launch in the Mitchell a few years ago. "Homage to Caledonia" by Daniel Gray, about the Scots who fought in Spain. Excellent read.

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:20 BST (UK) »
 ;)Hi Skoosh, iv'e had help of the Mitchell library staff in recent times, they have always been very kind to me, but to big an ask for them to go through micro film, as you will probably know thier's still a big following of the Scotish lads who volunteered for the International Brigade, is it Springburn area folks meet up on memorial days, i cant speak for all England but certainly no celebrations around my town, cant think why, the Brigaders were fighting the fascists 3 or more years before the world was fighting same fascist govenments. Iv'e got what i believe to be the full story on my relative Francis Casey, its colourful to say the least, i'm also lucky enough to have met the late Jack Jones in the early 80s when he came to our town Stockton on Tees, my dad Robert Casey asked Jack if he knew his father my grandad {  aslocalled Robert } who was with him out in Spain with the Brigaders, sadly Jack did not recall my grandad but said a lot of good lads were out there, never did find my grandads name amongst those who's names were recorded, my relative Francis was on the MI5 list, goes to show how much the International Brigaders were looked on.
All the best Derek :) ;) :D
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
Shocking the way they were treated Derek, but they were proved right. Too many of the ruling class, backed by the likes of the Daily Mail, thought that the dictators were just what was needed.
There's a monument to the Civil War down by the Clyde, that might be where you suggest for a meeting.

No Pasaran!

Skoosh.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
 :) Skoosh, about 2 years or so a relative of Francis contacted me, he knew nothing about Francis so i sent the full story on him, i was promised a photo but sadly it never turned up, the lad lived in Glasgow, so i'm hoping other Casey relatives might get in touch with me, god knows iv'e put loads of posting out on any Glasgow boards i find.
Still hope and pray some thing on Francis will turn up one day.
All the best Derek :) ;) :D
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.