Author Topic: Killoughs from Co Antrim  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Killoughs from Co Antrim
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 08:27 BST (UK) »
This is a photograph of my great, great grandfather John Killough (seated) with his son Robert and daughter Mattie. They were from the Shanaghy district of Finvoy Co Antrim. John Killough was married in Finvoy Presbyterian church on 29th August 1848. He was married to Mattie Mebin who was a widow (maiden name Stewart). There is a large Killough site which seems to go back to 3 brothers - 2 of whom emigrated to America and the third stayed in Co Antrim. I can't get back any further in my research than John mentioned above and wondered if there were any other Killoughs out there who would have any more information about the Co Antrim side of the family. On his wedding certificate John's father is listed as William Killough, Farmer.
Any help would be appreciated
Mo
Stirrett, Service, Kerr, Laughlin - Antrim
Killough, McKay, Neely Armstrong - Kilrea
Rankin,Love, McNeely - Bready/Strabane
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Killoughs from Co Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
According to the 1901 census, John Killough was born c1824- he is shown living in the townland of Shanaghy Upper with a daughter Martha who was probably named after her mother. Lots of Mabins in the same townland.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/The_Vow/Shanaghy_Upper/931786

They are still there in 1911- John born c1822.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/The_Vow/Shanaghy__Upper/130630

Therefore, John's father William Killough was probably born c1800 or earlier and unless you can find church records, an old gravestone or family records that may be as far back as you'll be able to go.

There is only 1 headstone for Killoughs in Finvoy Presbyterian Churchyard (as of 2001) but it's a later one for a John Killough and wife Jane.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick response Aghadowey. I have the census information already. I may try Finvoy Presbyterian church but I doubt if their records will go back any further.

Mo
Stirrett, Service, Kerr, Laughlin - Antrim
Killough, McKay, Neely Armstrong - Kilrea
Rankin,Love, McNeely - Bready/Strabane
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 18:20 BST (UK) »
There are lots of links to check what records for Co. Antrim are available under ANTRIM RESOURCES including this one which says baptisms and marriages start 1843 (Finvoy on page 54)-

Sources for church records (Antrim records start page 47 but all pages may not be available to view): www.rootschat.com/links/05s1
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!