Author Topic: SKINN or BISBY Watermen/Boat people? Doncaster and Mexborough.  (Read 2182 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: SKINN or BISBY Watermen/Boat people? Doncaster and Mexborough.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 July 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
This is more complicated than I first thought as there appear to be 3 Joseph Bisbys in 1861:

Joseph Bisby 56 born Mexborough occ Captain wife Elizabeth born Kirby. On board The Dove at East Gawber Colliery Barnsley.

Joseph Bisby 46 born Mexborough occ Waterman wife Mary Tomlinson Bisby born Denby

Joseph Bisby (married) 44 born Mexborough Master on board the Invincible.

Even though the age is not right I think yours might be the first one. It could that the last two are one and the same and he has been recorded twice in different places.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 July 13 12:01 BST (UK) »
By 1871 the Joseph with Mary Ann as a his wife has become an Innkeeper in Mexborough.

I think though this is your one:

RG10; Piece: 4712; Folio: 86; Page: 47   Kilnhurst Canal Swinton on board the William & Mary

Joseph Bisby  57     Bargeman Coal Trade   Mexborough
Elizabeth Bisby 58                                     Kirby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 July 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all, many thanks for the kind replies, I didn't know there were so many Joseph Bisby's  :o
Keyboard86, thankyou for the 1881 census, yes that's George Skinn married to Martha, they are my wife's Great Great Grandparents, thankyou so much for that.
Hi groom, hope your well, I have found a marriage in "Yorkshire, England, Extracted Parish Records" for Joseph Bisby and Eliz, Sykes on the 26Th October 1835 at Rotherham so it seems you are correct in your thoughts regarding the census results of 1851 with Martha, and the 1861 on board the "Dove" at East Gowber Colliery at Barnsley, this also seems to fit in with the 1871 results on board the "William and Mary" at Swinton, thankyou so much for all of your hard work it is greatly appreciated.
I have also come across another Christening record on the "England & Wales Christening Records 1530-1906"
Joseph Bisby 25 - April 1812
Mexborough,Yorkshire,England,
Fathers name: George Bisby.
Mothers name: Elizabeth.
Many thanks again for all of your time and expertise and as always my very best regards.
Frank. :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 July 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank, glad to have been of help, to follow and hopefully assist you further with George Skinn, this is the 1851/61:-

1851 Census

Henry Elliss 66 occ Cordwainer
Mary 68
Harriett 23
Rachel Skinn 34 occ Ship Owners Wife
George 9
Joseph 2
Residing at St Thomas Street, Doncaster
Census Ref HO107/2347/330/34

1861 Census

George Skinn 46 occ Master
Rachel 44
George 19
Joseph 12
William 9
Residing on the Vessel "Wellfare" Port Hull (Dearne & Dove Canal)
Trader in Coal
Census Ref RG09/3510/115/1

Marriage George Skinn to Rachel Ellis Sept qtr 1840 Doncaster 22 59
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 July 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86, many thanks for the two census returns and also the marriage, this really is filling in some holes in my research  :)
I have also found Joseph Bisby with wife Elizabeth and a son Thomas aged 3 years on the 1841 census in Darfield, Yorkshire which shows William as a "Waterman", Thomas does not seem to be on any future census with the family but there is however a number of deaths for several individuals with the name of Thomas Bisby in the West Riding between 1841 and 1851 so death is a distinct possibility.
Many thanks again,
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Sophie C

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 May 23 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank
I am related to the Bisby family from Mexborough.
Let me ask around the family and see if anyone knows anything about Martha. I know of Joseph and Ann, but the names of Martha and her siblings noted in the post below are not familiar to me.