Author Topic: Latin help please - 1673 administration  (Read 979 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Latin help please - 1673 administration
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
I've been staring at this little line of Latin for ages now and I would really appreciate it if someone could put me out of my misery. I've got the gist of it, but I'm trying to make an accurate transcript and my basic Latin is just not up to it. Any help is much appreciated.

Alexander

---

S... p[...] Educac... Radulphi et Margaretae Moreton liberor[um] nat[ura]liu[m](?) d[i]c[t]i
def... eor[um] minori aetate existen...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin help please - 1673 administration
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 July 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't read (or guess at) the first word. My best stab at the rest ...

... p(ro) educac(i)o(n)e Radulphi et Margaretae Moreton libero(rum) nat(ura)liu(m) d(i)c(t)i
defun(ct)i eo(rum) minori aetate existent(ium)

... for the education of Ralph and Margaret Moreton, the natural children of the said deceased, they being under age

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 July 13 07:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox, it's a big help.

I'm wondering if the first word might be "Tuico" ... meaning tuition?? My little Latin dictionary doesn't have anything like this in it though, and online dictionaries aren't being much help.

Cheers,
Alexander

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 July 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if the first word might be "Tuico" ... meaning tuition??

It's a good thought, and tuitio/tuicio does exist, literally guardianship or protection (according to Lewis & Short). But it seems rare, which isn't encouraging in the context of an admon :-\

I wonder if it could simply be a word meaning 'fund' or 'subsistence'? I'll come back later with any further ideas.

Meanwhile you might find Perseus useful ...
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/search

ADDED - how about Luic(i)o (payment) ?
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3Dluitio

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 July 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox, you might be right. It looks like it starts with an L, but then there's that big cross on the top that makes me think it's a T. :-\

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 July 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
In terms of Scots law of this period, if a boy under 14 or a girl under 12 lost their father, they were "pupils" and a "tutor" was appointed to take care of their legal and financial affairs. The word "tutela" is more commonly found for this tutorship, but tuitio/ tuicio are also found.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
I would be minded to construe "minori aetate existen..." as "while they remain under age" or "during their minority".

I am not going to attempt to suggest an appropriate suffix for "existen..." as my Latin grammar is way too rusty for that; I am simply observing, as a lawyer with some little experience in testamentary matters, that these words are far more likely to be words of limitation for the duration of the purpose of the bequest than a recitation of the fact that the children are still minors.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright