Author Topic: Help in finding birth details of grandfather  (Read 5663 times)

Offline pixie101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in finding birth details of grandfather
« on: Thursday 25 July 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been trying to identity a birth record for my Grandfather for the past two years,,I have hit a brick wall,, is there anyone who could help please.
His name is William Owen Williams I have him on the 1911 census living with wife and child in Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd Denbighshire he states his place of birth as Henllan. I also have his marriage cert showing his age as 34 years in 1910 his Father John Williams a farmer deceased, place of birth was shown as Henllan. I have his burial report and funeral card showing he died in Tanyfron at aged 80 years in 1955, his Brother Hugh was at the funeral  with his wife and daughter Nellie they lived in Colwyn Bay. Not sure if Hugh was older or younger than him.

I have a William Owen Williams on the 1881 census living with a Peter Williams place of birth shown as Gwytherin this is a long way from Henllan. I have found many William Owens  on Census but none with a Hugh and not with a Father named John or  being born in Henllan. I have purchased three birth certs from GRO none have a Father named John. ,,,help please Barb  ???

Offline hmc86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help in finding birth details of grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 July 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb,
Was one of the birth certs you got for William Owen Williams Sept 1874 Llanrwst? If not, I may have found something

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 July 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
There are these two baptisms on FindMyPast. You will have to buy credits to see them.

WILLIAMS William Owen/ 1875 Gwytherin Denbighshire
WILLIAMS William Owen /1877 Rhosllanerchrugog Denbighshire
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 July 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Parish register page 75 entry no. 598
Baptism
Gwytherin Denbighshire
2 May 1873
William Owen Williams
parents John & Ellen
address Tydyn Cafyd
father's occ Farmer

Maybe?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 July 13 15:51 BST (UK) »
This looks like the William Owen Williams from the baptism

Brynpistyll
Llannefydd
Denbigh
Peter Williams Head M 49farmer of 4 acres 1 ag lab
Jemimah wife 49 Llannefydd Denbigh
Jane daughter 12 LLannefydd
David son 10 Llannefydd
WILLIAM OWEN WILLIAMS Boarder 6 Gwytherin Denbigh

RG11 5533 46 2

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 July 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
and this looks like his parents before William Owen was born

Tyddyn Cafydd
Gwytherin
John Williams Head M 37 Farmer of 30 acres
Ellen wife Llangeniew Denbigh
Elias son 7
Thomas J son 4
Elizabeth daughter 1
John & children b Gwytherin
RG10 5677 108 9

Suz

Offline hmc86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 July 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
Alright, I'm adding to my earlier post as everyone's being far more helpful than I was  :D
Going purely on censuses, I found a Hugh (1872) and William (1874) living with their parents John and Ellen/Elinor on the 1881 census in Llangwm. The corresponding later censuses suggest that John, a farmer of 10 acres and sheep dealer, died sometime between 1885 and 1891.
The older children all seem to have been registered in Llanrwst, hence my earlier suggestion that William Owen was registered there in Sept 1874

Offline pixie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 July 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi to everyone, many thanks for the reply's to my call for help. I have looked at all the suggestion and advice given and I am in confusion. the William Owen in the 1881 census  living with Peter, his birth place is given as 1875 Gwytherin which is a long way from Henllan. I have looked at the baptismal record sometime ago and have tried to get a birth cert however there are no births registered with the GRO for that person. The William Owen  in 1874 Llanwrst I did get the birth cert and the Father is not John.

My points of reference for him are,, he states he was born in Henllan Denbighshire on his marriage cert and again in the 1911 census. His father is named as John a farmer on the marriage cert. He claims he was 34 yrs in 1910 making the birth year as 1877 and he was reported as 80 in 1955 on his death birth year would have been 1875

Were to from here ????? :-X

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 July 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
There's a Baptism for a Hugh Williams on 17 March 1880 at Llansannan, parents John and Ellen.

Abode: Water St, John a labourer.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....