Author Topic: Help in finding birth details of grandfather  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help in finding birth details of grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 July 13 19:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry, found Hugh in 1881 and father John was also born in Llansannan, not Henllan. Ellen from Caernarvonshire, brother William born 1876 in Brymbo, so guess not the right family  :-[
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 July 13 19:51 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose William was a grocer was he?

Edited to add: sorry, been wondering if he perhaps didn't know his father, so it's the father's name that's wrong on the marriage cert.

Have found a William Williams born 1876 in Henllan, as a gamekeeper living in Cefn, Flint in 1901 and in 1891 in Denbigh as an apprentice grocer. Worth a look?  :-\   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 July 13 22:02 BST (UK) »

I have a William Owen Williams on the 1881 census living with a Peter Williams place of birth shown as Gwytherin this is a long way from Henllan.

Wikpedia
" Henllan"
"St Sadwrns church forms part of the Benefice of Henllan, which includes the parishes of Henllan, Bylchau & Gwytherin"

So I wonder if p.o.b. was given as any of the three on census??

1881 shows
Cornwall Ucha?
Llanfair Talhaiarn
Denbighshire
Robert Evans Head M 50 Farmer of 76 acres Gwytherin Denbigh
Ann wife 45 Llanfair
HUGH WILLIAMS nephew 8 Gwytherin
RG11 5530 74 6

Wonder if this could be brother Hugh?? If father had died maybe children were spread about the family???

Only me guessing - but do you think it might be worth further investigation?

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pixie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 July 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi many thanks for the help, much appreciated, I guess it,s just a matter of keep looking and asking  and someone may have something in there own tree that could throw some light on my grandfather William Owen or his Brother Hugh Williams of Colwyn Bay.

Cheers Barb  :)

Offline pixie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 July 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deidre will have a look at that one ,,,and yes I have thought about the fathers name and wondered if it could have been made up or perhaps if John was a nick or common name used instead of real name.

Cheers Barb :)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi pixie101 :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Some thoughts on your research.
1)  Have you located Hugh Williams on 1911 census?
2)  I'm wondering if he could possibly also be named Hugh Owen Williams, because there are two deaths in Conway District in 1957 for that name, one age 79 and one age 73.  There is a birth in 1876 for a Hugh Owen Williams at Ruthin registry. 
3)  Have you tried searching for WWI service records for the brothers? Age wise a bit of a stretch but you never know!
4)  Was the marriage in 1910 a Civil Marriage or Church.  What month did it take place and who were the witnesses?   Also did he remarry after his wife's passing?    A second marriage certificate could be very helpful as a secondary source for father's name.
5)  What month did William Owen Williams die in 1955.  Have you checked for a probate?
6)  You said in another post that you had a funeral card - where was your grandfather buried?
7)  If the brothers were traction engine operators perhaps check the British Newspapers and trade directories for more info.

Unfortunately I don't currently have access to the usual subscription sites, but hopefully someone who does can help you further.

Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pixie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 August 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heather,, some useful suggestion for me to follow up. I have looked for the cert for second marriage to Sarah Jane Carrington, they not of married of course and she used his name s time went by.

Cheers Barb   :)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 August 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heather,, some useful suggestion for me to follow up. I have looked for the cert for second marriage to Sarah Jane Carrington, they not of married of course and she used his name s time went by.

Cheers Barb   :)

??????
Northwales BMD has a civil marriage at Wrexham 1920 for a Sarah J Carrington with a William O Williams on the same page Wrexham Registry reference WM/087/28.   Free bmd confirms they married each other. GRO ref Dec Q 1920 Wrexham vol 11b page 627
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pixie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 August 13 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heather  :) had just found it myself and have sent for a copy from the GRO,,this will confirm his Fathers name and place of birth.
Cheers Barb