Author Topic: STEWART/ROBERTSON  (Read 18543 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART/ROBERTSON
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Completely irrelevant to this topic but I have relatives who also travelled on the Lady Kennaway, arriving in Australia on 12 August 1838.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Macpherson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 November 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Mothermacree, Donald Robinson did migrate on The Lady Kennaway with 10 of his 12 children aged between 30 and 6 years of age.  The third son James was married to Mary Frazer who gave birth to a baby daughter (no name noted) enroute on the 17th Jujy, 1838.  The other two children - Catherine a widow with two children migrated in 1854 and Donald/Daniel born 1816 migrated to Port Philip Bay (Melbourne) in 1848 but living in NSW by 1854, together with his wife Jane McLaclhlan and daughter Nancy aged 1.  Four other children followed.
Ann born 1827 (my gg.grandmother) married James MacDonald in 1850.  He was born 1818 in Lerwick, Shetland Islands, son of Neil Macdonald (Chelsea pensioner, born in Barra, Western Isles) and Barbara Jamieson from Shetland.  On the wedding certificate bride is listed as Anne Robertson or Stewart.  Still working on where the name Stewart came from - at the time of marriage Ann had a daughter by the name of Jane, so maybe took the name of Stewart for 'respectability'.  Jane took the name of MacDonald but doubtful James was her father.  They went on to have five more children.  James died in 1893 and is buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery Kiama;  Ann in 1898 and is buried in Presbyterian Cemetery Nowra.  Looking at James's death certificate I think they may have been estranged at the time of his death. 
Still hopefully of finding where Rebecca Buttar Robertson is buried, in Blairgowrie and surrounds, as in a lot of other parts of Scotland, volunteers with some help from the local Councils neglected graveyards and cemeteries are being restored/cleaned-up, so keeping an eye on Hill Church being the most probable.

Offline rachaelandtheboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 November 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear All, Thank you so much for responding to my message earlier this week, your information has been really exciting, as my grandmother had been stuck for so long, and she'd been doing the family history for many years (since I was a child and I'm 45) by microfiche.
 Mothermacree and Macpherson, I"m not sure how the website works but if we could exchange emails at some point that would be great. My nan is based in the Shoalhaven (Bomaderry) and she would love to speak to you at some point if you'd be willing?
There is also a gentleman- David McAndrew Western Australia- with whom I've been in touch with, who would be very interested in your information regarding Donald and his parentage. I've emailed him tonight telling him about this thread, and hopefully in some way he will be able to join the conversation. I am going to try to share the link with him. But if that doesn't work (and if Macpherson doesn't mind) I'd like to introduce you via email at some point.
I love that we are talking about this! And I"m emailing from Blairgowrie at this moment! It feels quite special. I have an appointment with Wilma from the genealogy society tomorrow so if there's anything else to share I shall let you know. And I will be lurking around that house!
I will also be in Nowra after Christmas and my mother and I will be going to visit Ann, and to tidy up her grave if it needs it.
Thank you again for your responses, it means a lot,
Cheers from Blairgowrie!
Rachael.

Offline Macpherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 December 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Rachaelandtheboo, I have sent you a personal message