Author Topic: Was Moses Nutt married 3 times?  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Tramore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was Moses Nutt married 3 times?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 April 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. Just joined Roots chat this minute. Just like to say that my father just before he died left me the original parchment apprenticeship contract for Moses Nutt with the farmer James Clark in 1768 when Moses, aged 10, left the Foundling Hospital and went to be taught 'husbandry'. I recently gave the document to my sister who has had the document photographed because of its age and condition and subsequent copies made from the photo. Like to hear from you.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Tramore,
Welcome to Rootschat and thanks for making contact.

How wonderful that you have such a historical record - an amazing heirloom.
I haven't worked on the NUTT family tree for some time so will need to have a look through my research notes. However, think that I found some more information since my posting but will get back to you.

By the way, what is your connection. Mine is from Moses' son, Moses Nutt c1796-1868 (3rd ggf), to his daughter Martha c1824-1896 (2nd ggm)
Bonnie
PS: I never heard back from "verainkent"

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome Tranmore :)
Just remember you will have to wait to exchange private messages (post 3 times in total)
No private e mail addresses to be posted in open forum.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Tramore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 April 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your very prompt reply. I am only just starting to trace my family history so I can't answer your question at the moment. My father, Arthur Nutt, born in York, found the document in a writing case belonging to his father, my grandfather, after he died. My father told me that he didn't know anything about Moses Nutt or his family history other than he had been told one of his relatives named Nutt used to drive a stagecoach in York.
As soon as I have researched any of the family tree I will definitely be back to you.
P.S. It was my  daughter who Googled Moses Nutt and found your post on Rootschat on the first page and I felt you would be interested in the document.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 April 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tramore,
I have had a quick look at my notes on the NUTT family and have quite a bit of information. I was lucky enough to connect with a person, a number of years ago, who told me the story about Moses Nutt and the Foundling Hospital etc., along with quite a lot more details, all of which has been verified.
What was your grandfather's name and do you know when he was born or died?

You will need to do one more posting then your able to send me a PM and happy to pass over what info I have.
Bonnie

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 April 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
Here is Moses Nutt's first marriage entry to Jane Turner. Note that the word 'dead' has been written where her father's name should be
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 April 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jay55.
Can I ask a favour thanks. Would you mind checking if the witnesses, John Aspinall and Ellen Braithwaite, were also witnesses for other marriages around the same time.
Bonnie

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 April 16 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonnie,
Unfortunately yes it looks like John & Ellen were regular witnesses to marriages at St Mary's so no clues there to help you with your mystery
Jay55
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 April 16 05:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jay55.

Just to add a bit more info post, I had confirmation from York Cemetery that in grave number 15753
are buried the following

Jane Nutt (nee Turner) DOD 16 Apr 1878 age 55 (Moses first wife)
Eleanor Nutt DOD 07 Aug 1880 age 36 **
Moses Nutt DOD 14 Jan 1905 age 76
Moses Henry Nutt DOD 18 Sep 1909 age 49 (son of Moses and Jane)
Annie Nutt DOD 22 Aug 1919 no age shown

** There is no death registration for an Eleanor Nutt however Hannah Nutt (nee Wormersley) died on this date and it is believed they are one of the same person. The researcher at York Cemetery also did not find a marriage registration of Moses Nutt to Annie.

Anyone requiring more info, please drop me a message. Bonnie