Author Topic: Belgium Forename Variations  (Read 5900 times)

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium Forename Variations
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
OK. Just checking with you to make sure.
Thanks.

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
I also came to wonder recently, Joannes had a brother named Frans born 1885 in Belgium.
The marriage displays Jean FRANS Mees and a word of mouth birth year as 1885 - is it possible that Joannes can be the one as well as Frans possibly being the one?

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 05 September 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
It is a possibility, but Frans Mees married in Boom on 12/01/1907, cert n° 5, with Coesemans Maria Sofia. One of the witnesses at the wedding was his brother Jan Frans.  Their first child was born in 1908 in Boom. There is no marriage (or death) for Jan Frans in Boom. (Certs and index are online up to 1910). Still searching but no luck so far.
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 September 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
OK so I suppose that does rule it out then. Thanks! I can't understand any of the images so do you know the name of the child they had and his birthdate?

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 September 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan !   I’ve not had the time to read all your replies so you’ll have to excuse me if I repeat what’s already been said !  Also, as I see from the last page it has progressed somewhat !

I’ve been living in the French Wallonia south for over 40 years and my wife’s father was called Isidore..., so yours looks like it’s probably Flemish.  But I suppose you must obviously have an address for Jean..., north, or south.   

Remark:    I’ve been doing my British tree for a few years now and with it becoming less and less dynamic, I ‘pushed’ my wife to ‘encourage’ me to do hers.   Lol !   I won !
I’ve only been on it for a few weeks now and it’s “as easy as pie”!   

Because I had her 1xG ID card, the street number on this card didn’t coincide with our/his house. (50 instead of 3)    As such, because Google is getting worse by the minute, I went to our local Town Hall to ask for a research rendezvous in order to see if they had an old map.    No rendezvous was needed !

On my arrival and explaining the situation, the secretary went directly to the attic and brought down a book about one meter high by 50cms wide filled with old maps. (beautiful..., abt 1880)   As I looked at the open book with its orange and dimpled pages fully decorated; I bit my lip that I hadn’t taken my digital camera.   
As such, I made some excuse and said, “please wait 5 minutes and I’ll be back in a gif.”    When I got back, she had printed 20 pages from her computer with all my mother-in-law’s family, with some going back to 1720 and others even further, but without dates.   
Being a Scotsman, I doubly appreciated the gesture as it was free !  Lol !
Quite a difference from the long hard slog using census reports !

Also..., as we live in such a small country (10 million) with a north/south divide 10 times worse than any Hadrian’s Wall could ever produce, “everybody knows everybody.”   To such an extent that the French word “cretinism” tinkles as you look at the family names and relationships.   
Meaning, that when someone in Belgium publishes their family tree on the Internet and you know from which half you belong, you’re just about certain to stumble over a relation. 
Example:
http://users.skynet.be/fa297341/gen/gen.htm   (63000 people)
http://home.euphonynet.be/lambermont-joris/ancetres/ancetres.htm  (80000 people)

As such, if you want to spend a few days in Belgium eating the best chocolate and drinking the best beer in the world..., just give ‘your’ Town Council a ring and ask for advice. (not the weekends)   
99% of Flemish speak English with at least 5 different accents when asked..., on the other hand, the Walloons are a bit like the British; not often bi-lingual !   Lol !

..., Iain.

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 06 September 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
According to brilliant research by "leen" who started it off by finding a birth record,
Jean was from Noevereen 184 in Boom, Antwerp.

And I thank you for sharing some information about your research.
It is great to hear it!

Thanks for the advice!

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 06 September 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
The certs are on the site of the Belgian State Archives, you need to register to view the images

http://search.arch.be/nl/zoeken-naar-archieven/zoekresultaat/inventaris/rabscan/eadid/BE-A0511_112303_110914_DUT/inventarisnr/I2009D9307/level/file/scan-index/11/foto/511_9997_997_11005_007_0_0011
Mees Frans  -  Coesemans Maria Sofia  x  12/01/1907, cert n° 5 (image 10)
Boom 12/01/1907 at 10:00 AM
Mees Frans, born 08/12/1885 Boom, ship maker, residing at Boom, son of Mees Isidoor, deceased and from  Fleurackers Maria Amelia, residing at Boom, present and consenting
Coesemans Maria Sofia, born 07/11/1887 Boom, laborer, residing at Boom, daughter of Coesemans Willem, brick maker, residing at Boom, present and consenting and from De Decker Alida, deceased
witnesses :
Mees Willem, 28 years, laborer, brother of the groom
Mees Jan, 30 jaar, laborer, brother of the groom
Coesemans Jan, 23 years, laborer, brother of the bride
Van Dyck Pieter, 21 years, laborer, non relative
The witnesses all residing in Boom

http://search.arch.be/nl/zoeken-naar-archieven/zoekresultaat/inventaris/rabscan/eadid/BE-A0511_112303_110914_DUT/inventarisnr/I2009D9303/level/file/scan-index/21/foto/511_9997_997_11005_003_0_0020

Mees Jan Frans  ° 10/07/1908, cert n° 310  (image 155)
 born  10/07/1908 (dd/mm/yy), 04:00 AM, at his parents home, Noeveren n° 128  at Boom
 parents  :  Mees Frans, 22 years, ship maker and Maria Sofia Coesemans, 20 years, both born at Boom
 witnesses  :  De Pauw Leopold, 27 years, factory laborer and Van den Eede Clementina, 34 years, midwife

cretinism Lain ?

Leen from Belgium

Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 07 September 13 06:40 BST (UK) »

cretinism Lain ?

Leen from Belgium

Hi Leen !   I was always told that “Crétin” was the name of an isolated village in the French mountains somewhere.   So isolated that marriages between cousins and sometimes siblings were a common occurrence. (with the centuries providing the obvious results)   
But I’m darned if I can find it on the map !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretinism
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 07 September 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
Already  thought you meant that, such as in Scotland I suppose  ;)

Dan has already sent a mail to the Town Hall. The difference is that you had the proof of your wife’s  direct kinship, and even better, the ID card with the national identification number of her 2xG. That’s the frustrating thing, knowing that they can see with a simple click whether Jan is the right person.
Still, I’m Belgian and have brought many visits to various town halls, always met friendly, helpful staff, but it never resulting in 20 pages. You’re a lucky guy Lain or is it Scottish charme ?

Good luck with your further research
Leen