Author Topic: CORCORAN, Carrabrown, Castlegar  (Read 15119 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CORCORAN, Carrabrown, Castlegar
« on: Monday 29 July 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
I have been informed of a Walter Corcoran, a RC, who died 30 Nov 1871 in Castlegar, Carrabrown, Galway. I have also been advised of a person of the same name who died in the same place on 07 Apr 1872. Can anyone kindly tell me if this is one and the same person or two different people. The one in whom I am interested is Walter Corcoran born about 1811 who married Bridget Connolly or Conneely 27 Mar 1854 in Castlegar, Carrabrown. If some kind person who has access to the PRs could let me know the date of my Walter's death (and his birth or baptism as well) I would be very grateful. And if at all possible, the birth/baptism of Bridget about 1824 in the District of Tuam. That's a lot of asking, I know, but any help would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
francoso

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CORCORAN, Carrabrown, Castlegar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Family Search has BMD indexes and shows this one. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRT3-323
You could ask your informant where the 1872 one can be found.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Heywood, I have that record from FamilySearch.org (that is the one reatled to date of death 30 Nov 1875) and the other reference is from BDM Records Genealogy Ireland – Irish Family History Foundation and states: Church Burial Record:
Name: Walter Corcoran; Date of Death: 07-Apr-1872; Age: --- Parish / District: CASTLEGAR
Address: Carrabrown; County: Co. Galway; Status: Denomination: Roman Catholic; Sex: Male

I am trying to determine if this is the same person or two different people, plus the other information mentioned above.
Regards
francoso

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
That could be a mistranscription or even perhaps a delayed entry in the register.
There doesn't seem to be a similar name in the civil records for the later date.
Perhaps the IFHF would check it for you or alternatively you could buy the copy death certificate.
As you have dates, the church may still have the records but often there is little response from the priests, I have read here.

Unfortunately, Walter's baptism is too early for records. They begin in 1827 http://galwaywest.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
Again, thanks Heywood, I'll take your suggestions on board. I was wondering if the system in Ireland was the same as in England for recording BMDs (I expect it could be), i.e. sending copies of parish records to the Bishopry periodically such as every quarter, and that the entry for Apr 1872 was the date of the Bishop's Transcript of the parish record of Nov 1871. As you mentioned that there doesn't appear to be a similar name in the civil records for the latter date I think it reasonable to assume that the correct date of Walter's death was 30 Nov 1871.
kind regards
francoso

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 August 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi There Francoso,

I know this church well as my husband's family were from the same parish.

So, to explain, the cert that you would have seen on familysearch would have been for when your Walter actually died.

The record on IFHF for Walter in Castlegar Church for Walter is actually for his Rememberance.

At this point in Ireland there are very few records kept for deaths and funerals in most RC churches BUT there are random records for Remberances.

Usually these are for what we call 'months mind' today, but your Walters was obviously a bit later.

Castlegar Church records only began in 1827 so I'm afraid that you won't get baptisms for Walter or his wife.

They do have most of the baptisms however for their children.

If there is any other help I can give you let me know as I know of most of the families in the area.

Tara

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tara, that is really helpful and is a definitive response to what has been the subject of much discussion amonst the family. I think there is a baptism record in 1833 that maybe for Walter's wife, Bridget Connolly/Conneely 18 Jan 1833 District of Tuam, Carrabrown but cannot be sure of that.
Again, thanks and regards
francoso

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 August 13 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Castlegar Church covers quite a large area . . . . .

All the records that I have seen for her, her surname is spelt Connolly / Conneely, which is not a surname of the area of Carrowbrowne (as would show up under the 1901 / 1911 Census) so she must have been from more towards Castlegar town itself or Ballintemple whose records would also show under Castlegar.

She must have had a brother called Michael as he is godfather to one or two of her children !

This is obviously her in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Carrowbrowne/Carrowbrowne/1372790/

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 August 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Just an update

I'd be pretty sure that her parents were John Connelly and Mary Walsh and that she was baptised in 1831 and was from Castlegar Village.

Her brother Michael married an Ellen Spellman and this would be them on the 1901 Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Galway_Urban/Castlegar/1372939/

Tara