Author Topic: Immigration Help  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Esky85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 August 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
I don't have his death certificate yet. I'll try get it now. ;)

Wow, sounds from his will that he was very successful!

Offline Esky85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 August 13 02:17 BST (UK) »
I've got a year. 1884 minus 36 years from his death certificate means he has been in Australia since 1848.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 August 13 05:04 BST (UK) »
Well, Esky, I have looked at the "Emigrants from Hamburg" index and neither of your people are on it.
This means that either they came before 1850, or they came from a port other than Hamburg - or both.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Esky85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 August 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
Through trying to find out when they arrived, I'm very close to finding out where John and his first born son are buried in Melbourne General Cemetery! I've emailed because the records aren't yet online. Hopefully can visit in a few weeks when we go down to visit friends in Melbourne.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Offline Esky85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 August 13 05:22 BST (UK) »
This is what I have found out about my fiance's ancestor. Thought I would share this little biography I wrote to say thanks for helping me out.

============

Johann Franz was born in Prussia (now Germany) in 1822 to parents unknown. No records can be found about his life in Prussia but in 1848 he found himself in Melbourne, Victoria in the country of Australia.

Johann would have arrived by ship, having sailed for anywhere between 4 and 6 months and would of had to navigate through the notorious Bass Straight and what is now known as the shipwreck coast. There are 648 known wrecks along this rugged stretch of limestone coast and only 240 of them have ever been discovered.

Melbourne was still a young colony. In fact John Batman had only surveyed the area of what is current day Central and Northern Melbourne just 13 years beforehand. Melbourne was a late bloomer compared with other colonies because it was wrongly thought that the area contained few resources.

Johann married and settled in the northern suburb of Fitzroy with his lady Metta Otken. The ceremony was held in a church on the corner of Collins and Russell Streets, site of the current day St Michael's Uniting Church in 1850. A year later, they would have their first born, a son named John Henry Franz.

Johann was a cabinet maker by trade, and would have dealt with many clients in the growing city. As with many immigrants of the time, he anglicized his name to John to enable himself to fit in better with the British Australians.

Gold is discovered in central Victoria in late 1851. The lure of a possible fortune to be made is too much for Johann (now John) and Metta, so they decide to take their chances by moving to the Bendigo Goldfields. Tempers would flair in 1853 due to a dispute with dig licensing costs and the harsh enforcement of laws regarding possession of the license. John would add his name to the 1853 Bendigo Goldfields Petition, demanding equal opportunity for all, which was a great example of the "fair go" culture in early times. Supporting the underdog is a huge part of Australia's image.
Over the next decade, John and Metta would have 3 girls and 2 more boys. They were Maria Matilda Louisa Franz, Hannah Sophia Franz, Metta Christina Franz, Charles Franz and William Franz. Apart from a brief return to Melbourne for the birth of Hannah, wife Metta would remain in Bendigo by her husband's side.

Having struck it lucky in the goldfields, John and his family would return to Fitzroy to start the next phase of their life. Still a cabinet maker, John would use his gold to invest in property. A very smart decision as it would turn out. He bought 2 double story brick townhouses with 6 rooms each in Fiztroy at 47 Napier St, living in one and renting out the other. On the same block he owned 2 more single story 3 bedroom homes that faced out onto Little Napier St to the rear. In addition to this he would later purchase 10 acres of land in Hartwell, in the shire of Boroondara to the east of Melbourne and also several other smaller homes around Fitzroy. John would put Charles through school to enable him to become a book keeper and in his Will, made him the executor of about £2700 worth of estate (approx $2.2million in 2013).

John, having mourned the tragic drowning of his first son John Henry the year before, passed away from bronco pneumonia in 1884. He is buried in Melbourne General Cemetery, a large necropolis in Carlton and the resting place of many famous Australians. A month before he passed he wrote in his will and asked Charles to look after his darling Metta, to be smart with the money but take care of her in any way he can. Metta would in fact out live both of them, and would later join them in Melbourne General Cemetery.