Author Topic: Balmenoch Creiff  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Aileen

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Balmenoch Creiff
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 February 19 13:51 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for this information and photograph! sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, not been doing the family tree for ages but want to get back into it.
Have you any further information i.e. when did the house burn down, was trying to find newspaper reports but so far not found what i'm looking for.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Balmenoch Creiff
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 February 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
The 1905 Valuation Roll, available at Scotland's People, lists Mrs Constance R B Ewing as the proprietor and occupier of Balmenoch, Comrie Road, Crieff. It isn't listed in 1895 or earlier, and from 1915 it was the property of Mr Samuel Murphy. The intervening years (1896-1904) are not on SP, but they will exist and it should be possible to consult them in libraries including Crieff and Perth, the National Library of Scotland and the National Records of Scotland.

It must have been a large house, because its rateable value was £110, and only two other properties listed on the same page of the VR were rated higher. The lowest on the page was rated at £3 10s and the highest was £160.

Constance R B Ewing, aged 100, died in London in 1960. Constance R Blackie married Hugh M Ewing in Glasgow in 1888, and Glasgow City Archives has a copy of their marriage contract. In 1891 Hugh McM Ewing, 37 and Constance R Ewing, 30, were in the census in Partick, and in 1911 she was in Edinburgh, aged 50. I have not found them in 1901. Hugh McMaster Ewing, aged 40, died in Folkestone in 1894. Constance Robertson Blackie was born on 11 July 1860 and her birth was registered in both Rosneath and Partick. Hugh McMaster Ewing's baptism was recorded on 9 June 1853 in both Kilbride (Bute) and Barony (Glasgow).

You could easily find out when the house changed hands, both when the Ewings acquired it and when Mrs Ewing sold it, from the Registers of Sasines. Unfortunately consulting the Registers of Sasines requires a visit to the National Records of Scotland, or possibly Perth and Kinross Libraries or Archives may have a copy of the annual calendars of abridgments, and if they do the abridgments would contain quite enough information to provide an answer to your question. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.