Author Topic: 1941/42,marriage look up ? vancouver  (Read 1385 times)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1941/42,marriage look up ? vancouver
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 21:11 BST (UK) »

Hi bugle boy

When you mention that your uncle applied to get permission to marry Jean? am  I correct in believing he was still in the military perhaps WW11. I have this in a relatives military file.
Could she have been a war bride or did the event happen in BC?

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 21:41 BST (UK) »

Hi again
I mentioned that a relative who was in WW11 had to get permission to marry so I checked out this website CanadianWar Brides www.warbrides.co.uk for his wife using her married name and she is there,so I put in a Jean Adams and there is one on the list.
If you follow the directions you should be able to get information providing this is the Jean you are looking for.

This is a guess on my part but worth looking into.

Lilybell :) :)
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 August 13 00:18 BST (UK) »

Hi bugle boy

When you mention that your uncle applied to get permission to marry Jean? am  I correct in believing he was still in the military perhaps WW11. I have this in a relatives military file.
Could she have been a war bride or did the event happen in BC?

Lilybell
Hi lilybell, my uncle was still in the Canadian Army,and as I stated he was given permission and sent on leave to marry her in Vancouver,the date of the marriage 18/10 41,I believe jean would have come from Vancouver.
Lena Pearl Donaldson would have been his second wife who he married in 1961.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 August 13 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Bugle Boy:

This doesn't help much, but when I check the VPL city directories I could only find a Robert and Jean starting in 1945 when he was still listed as being on active service.

From 1946 through to 1950 they were still in Vancouver and he worked as an orderly at Shaunghessy Hospital.

There is still a Robert and Jean Adams in the city in 1955 and there are no online directories after that.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 August 13 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sami, brilliant that's seems like that's my aunt and uncle,wish there had been a maiden name for jean.my uncle was discharged from the army in 1946.thank you for your help,

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 August 13 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Again:

I'm wondering though why there doesn't seem to be a death record for her. You would think it could be found between 1955 to 1961 when he married again. Did they divorce? Is that another way to search for her?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 August 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Again:

I'm wondering though why there doesn't seem to be a death record for her. You would think it could be found between 1955 to 1961 when he married again. Did they divorce? Is that another way to search for her?

sami
there is a possibility that they may have divorced Sami,I did not have any info on him until thanks to sandra she found out about his and lena's deaths him dying in 1966 and lena in the 70s.
In his service record It lists 2 or 3 change of addresses.