Author Topic: Thomas James Wilde of Liverpool Regiment, later Labour Corps  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Thomas James Wilde of Liverpool Regiment, later Labour Corps
« on: Friday 02 August 13 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)
My great grandfather Thomas James Wilde, born 1878 Golborne, Lancashire, fought in WWI, I have a copy of his medal card, which states he was in the Liverpool Regiment - No 66073, then the Labour Corps - No 43060. He lost an eye in battle.
I have searched the military records on Anc++ and Fm+  but found nothing  :-\
Where do I go from here - how can I find out more information?

Cheers
JAN XX
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas James Wilde of Liverpool Regiment, later Labour Corps
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 August 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
Remember that over 60% of the WW1 records were lost in a WW2 bombing raid! :(

So, there probably aren't any records to find.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 August 13 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
Yep, I know about the bombing raids, was hoping that there might be some other way of finding his involvement in the war.  I know he was a coal miner both before and after the war, and that he didn't receive the 1915 star, so being a married man with 4 children, aged 36 when the war started, would probably not be a volunteer - was just hoping that something else might be available.

Thanx, Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 August 13 02:34 BST (UK) »
Jan
Youd expect him to have a pension record and discharged with SWB if he lost an eye due to service...
There are pension records at the Western Front Association they have recently been saved and are available by paying a fee

I cant see him with those numbers on the SWB list on ancestry.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 August 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Here is the link to the WFA application for a look up - http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/attachments/article/2961/WFA%20Pension%20Records%20Cards%20Manual%20Lookup%20Request%20April%202013.pdf

The stated fee is £25 for the search plus £7.50 if they find anything. But this link says that the charge is reduced if the search is unsuccessful.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-current-news/pension-records.html

There was a time limit of six years to apply for a pension for injury/illness caused by military service.  There are one or two experts in the Labour Corps on the Great War Forum. It may have been possible to be in the Labour Corps with a damaged eye, and that he lost after his discharge. But he may have been transferred to the LC because of his age. They should be able to tell you when his LC number was issued.

Ken