Author Topic: Australia - Anthony George WILSON  (Read 24534 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Australia - Anthony George WILSON
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
What else can I do to try to locate him?

Have you already had responses back to each of these suggestions :

:)  :) Sends email to Slatergordon re the 1951 file they would have raised re Anthony George John WILSON. 
http://www.slatergordon.com.au/ 

:)  :) Sends email to Irish Embassy in Canberra ACT Australia
http://protocol.dfat.gov.au/Mission/view.rails?id=95

:)  :) Posts on the Irish Board at RChat to ask about the Irish Probate Records for Eleanor Marie Smithwick nee Wilson
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=69.0

Add, includes on Irish Board request, the details of the solicitor in Dublin in 1948 to find where their files from that era are

SMH 29 Oct 1948   http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18086735  Anthony George John WILSON (8th column, first entry under the heading Personal and Missing Friends)
SMH 1 Nov 1948 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18091574
SMH 5 Nov 1948 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18105039

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Anthony WILSON - Melbourne
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

I have no other sources that the ones you mention. And no other sons were sent away. I always thought that the reason why he was sent to Australia was to earn his living.

Cheers.

So, are you absolutely certain that YOUR chap is actually the chap being mentioned in the various Australian digitised newspaper cuttings already posted on this thread....  In other words, Are you absolutely certain that Eleanor Marie Smithwick nee Wilson is YOUR ancestor .....   :) 

Have a read through the following thread and see if there's further info you already know about your elusive chap that you can share with us....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

Another question or three or four  :)

:)  :) Within the family what records still exist to show there was any contact in the 1930s to support the info in the newspaper cutting..... 

:)  :) Within the family what records still exist to show any contact from your elusive chap back to family in Ireland, and

:) with those records, what date (year if possible), and

:) what type of record, and

:) where were they sent from.

If I may gently mention,  it seems that if your chap came to Australia that he may well have come incognito.

ADDING, from the 5 Nov 1948 SMH link previously posted

“If Anthony George John WILSON who left Ireland in 1914 for Australia, will communicate with  Miss Hyland, Solicitor, 9a Trinity Street Dublin he will hear of something to his advantage”.

The cutting does not state that Miss Hyland, Solicitor, held proof that he had arrived in Australia, or that he had been in contact in the 1930s, or that in the 1930s he was in Melbourne and had let family know he was moving to Sydney, (this info comes from the 1951 newspaper cuttings) so perhaps Miss Hyland, Solicitor, received communications as a result of her series of advertisements in the press...   Solicitors open files " as soon as" so I am suggesting you try to gain access to those files  :)

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
 - here appears a:
A Wilson (b. 1895, to Melbourne 1914)
G Wilson (b. 1895, to Melbourne 1913)
G.A. Wilson (b. not listed, to Melbourne 1913)

You will find many cases like this (and some with no first name at all)......

I agree with jorose, and I think this would be the FIRST one listed :

Departing Tilbury,London, 20 Jan 1914,on the Port Lincoln, bound for Melbourne, Australia

Ticket no. 90,  Mr A WILSON, third class, Footman, aged 19, country of last permanent residence IRELAND.  Intended Future Permanent Residence AUSTRALIA

It is a very long bow to draw to aim to make the above Mr A Wilson,19  of Ireland, departing from England and heading to Melbourne into Anthony George John WILSON, of  Main Street, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 01:20 BST (UK) »
It would be well-worth getting hold of that probate packet.

If they are like the probate packets here they will have details of all the steps taken to contact him and the responses, including summaries of all family correspondence with him, contact with ex-employers, the Defence Department contact details, any Life Insurance policy contact details etc. They are required to follow all avenues to find the person.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 02:14 BST (UK) »
Exactly, Ros,  those Probate records in NSW and in Vic archives are perhaps the best resources particularly for breaking down fh brickwalls….

Carol, do you have these two birth certs?

And if so, what information is on each one?

Eleanor Marie WILSON, birth registered Oct-Dec 1882, Granard, Cavan, Ireland, Vol 3 pg 159.

George Anthony WILSON, birth registered Oct-Dec 1894, Granard, Cavan, Ireland, Vol 3, pg 143

I have NOT found a birth registered for an Anthony George John WILSON that would “fit” the elusive chap.

ADD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB4H-D22 Eleanor Marie birth

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBF9-SZJ  George Anthony birth

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 02:19 BST (UK) »
Name: Anthony Wilson
Address: Main Street, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford

May I please ask another further question too .... Ummm...... how do you know that this is your elusive chap ? 

Who else was in that household, what were their details, you know .... all the usual questions to help learn more about your elusive chap so we can try to consider where-else to look for him in Australian records.

ADD, 

I found the 1901 and 1911 Irish census on the following link

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

1911 Census

in a house 50 (a private dwelling, with 1 family of 6 persons in it) in Main St, Edgeworthstown, Longford
Thomas WILSON, 67, Head, Roman Catholic, he was a Physician and Surgeon, and could read and write, married for 31 years, born Longford.
Elizabeth WILSON, 55, Wife, Roman Catholic, she culd read and write, and was born Tipperary
Eleanor Marie WILSON, 28, daughter, Roman Catholic
Ada WILSON, 18, Daughter, Roman Catholic
Ethel WILSON, 17, Daughter, Roman Catholic
Anthony WILSON, 16, Son, Roman Catholic, he could read and write, and was a Scholar
Of their TEN children born,  eight were living. 

The children of Thomas and Elizabeth WILSON living with them in 1901 were
Eleanor Marie, aged 18;  Bertha aged 13,  Aida aged 9, Ethel aged 7, and Anthony George aged 5.  And their proficiency was the English language.

So, umm.... may I pose a rhetorical question

when Thomas and or Elizabeth died,  WHO contacted Anthony George WILSON and where was he at that time  ::) and what happened to their deceased estates at that time  :)

Cheers, JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 04:30 BST (UK) »
From an enlistment record for a Doctor with service in the BEF 23 Mar 1915 to 7 April 1919 with details of his next of kin   (I could not find a service no. so perhaps he was an officer … but at least under decorations it shows he was mentioned in the London Gazette 20 March 1918)
Father …. Thomas Wilson Deceased,
Mother – Elizabeth Wilson
Brother – Henry
Brother –Anthony

The address for Anthony “Edgeworthstown, Co Longford”

Hard to read the year (or at least the two digits after 19)  outside the bracket, so I am attaching a snip but it is attached to a public tree on Ancestry for a Thomas Reginald WILSON born 1881 Edgeworthstown, Longford.   

Cheers,  JM  (OH has motor running, so I have 3 minutes to post and lock up, as I will be in transit with my OH to a certain cap eye tal  city .... but will have trusty wifi thingy at hand to try to at least follow the thread...  Back to proper puter hopefully by Friday !)

Offline carlos555

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'll try to answer your questions. Regrettably I have only oral/family information and very little documentation, except the cuttings of 1948 and 1951.
I am 100% sure that Anthony George John Wilson, who appears in the cuttings, is the person we are looking for.
I am 100% sure that Eleanor Marie Smithwick, nee Wilson is Anthony George John Wilson's sister.
I have no records, apart than the family history and the cuttings, that he was still alive in 1934 and that at least in 1934 he was in communication with the family.
I don't have birth certificates of Eleanor Marie WILSON neither of George Anthony WILSON.
I am 100% sure that the person in the census:
Name: Anthony Wilson
Address: Main Street, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford, is the person we are looking for, and those appearing in the census are the father, mother, sisters and brothers of the person we are looking for.
I have no idea of what happened when Thomas and Elizabeth died. I do not know if anybody tried to contact Anthony George WILSON.
Thomas Reginald WILSON born 1881 Edgeworthstown, Longford was his eldest brother.
As you say, it seems that looking at the Probate records in NSW and in Vic archives are perhaps the best resources for tracing Anthony George Wilson, but I have no idea to obtain them.
I hope to have answered all your questions.
Cheers.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Carlos,
  I meant to look at the sister's (Eleanor Smithwick) probate records as they will probably contain all the steps they took to find George/Anthony and have details of last contact details (including from govt agencies).

regards,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland