Author Topic: Sidney Long  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Sidney Long
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 August 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
Yes I have had difficulty dealing with the 'new' format at Rootschat so that whenever I looked for replies over the weekend there didn't seem to be any, but I think I have sorted it all out now.
Thanks again Dawn and don't worry, I may have some other questions down the road...
Bye for now
Kirk
London/Greater London:  Owen, Ford, Plank, Paul and . . . Smith.
Essex:  Robjant, Brown (!)
Yorkshire:  Fallowfield, Snarr, Wood, Dunn, Heron, Bean, Wright
Leics. : Flude, Smalley, Caris,
Northants: Flude
Lincs: Borrass, Hall (Grantham)
Staffs : Owen, Browne
Salop: Carver, Tristram
Suffolk: Barber, Boor
Kent: Reed, Gardiner, Vant, Miles
Wales:
Pembroke : Rees, Llewelyn
Elsewhere:
Ford, Rodrigues

Offline judem64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 August 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting all of this as I am a descendant of the Slomowski side of the family.
You are correct, poor Rose Annie Slomowski nee Brett lost her 1st husband, Edward Slomowski, to TB whilst pregnant with their son Henry. On the 1891 census she is working as a domestic servant and the children are living with her parents in Shadwell. She appears to have married Sidney in 1892, had Sidney, and then shortly after died herself from TB in 1894. At this point, the eldest, my 8 year old g-grandfather Edward Slomowski, was put in to Banstead School, his younger sister Elitha, aged 6, was sent to a George Muller Orphanage in Bristol, where she died of TB aged 14. I can find NO mention of their brother Richard from birth onwards, so would love to know what happened to him? Poor Henry, aged 4, was sent to a school in Brighton and was lost at sea, aged 19, between Mexico and Sydney with all hands. All pretty tragic really.
It has taken me 20 years to piece this all together as the family seemed to have a tradition of taking the mothers maiden names, so I had no idea we were originally Slomowski! My grandmother Julia, was a Brett.
So, my questions unanswered are thus:
my G-Grandfather Edward Alfred Algar Slomowski, also known as Edward Brett,  born in 1886, changed his name by deed poll in 1919 to James Everett,(his estranged wife's maiden name!) but then seems to disappear from all records. I would love to know what happened to him?
what happened to Richard Slomowski, born 21/12/1887?
Any help gratefully accepted! regards and thanks for the info, Jude
Slomowski, Everett, Brett, Moehring, Friedeberg, Allender, Miller, Tighy

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 August 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jude

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Kirk (GeorgFriedrich) hasn't been online here for a few months but should receive an email notification that we have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Daw.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 August 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Jude,

I have been away for some time thanks to family and work which often intrude on my FT time.

Unfortunately I can provide you with little information on the Slomowskis because my g-grandfather Arthur is my link to Sidney Long and he unofficially adopted him as he was his second wife's nephew.  I guess at such times when a parent dies, everyone who could, tried to help and Emily Brett decided that she could take in and look after Sidney.  The only information that I can give you regarding the Bretts is that Emily says she was born in Clerkenwell, and in the 1911 census, her brother Edward (noted as a 'fish fryer') is living with her and Arthur, as well as Sidney.

Perhaps Richard Slomowksi changed his name to Brett as well…

Bye for now,

Kirk
London/Greater London:  Owen, Ford, Plank, Paul and . . . Smith.
Essex:  Robjant, Brown (!)
Yorkshire:  Fallowfield, Snarr, Wood, Dunn, Heron, Bean, Wright
Leics. : Flude, Smalley, Caris,
Northants: Flude
Lincs: Borrass, Hall (Grantham)
Staffs : Owen, Browne
Salop: Carver, Tristram
Suffolk: Barber, Boor
Kent: Reed, Gardiner, Vant, Miles
Wales:
Pembroke : Rees, Llewelyn
Elsewhere:
Ford, Rodrigues

Offline GMCT_archivist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 March 16 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting all of this as I am a descendant of the Slomowski side of the family.
You are correct, poor Rose Annie Slomowski nee Brett lost her 1st husband, Edward Slomowski, to TB whilst pregnant with their son Henry. On the 1891 census she is working as a domestic servant and the children are living with her parents in Shadwell. She appears to have married Sidney in 1892, had Sidney, and then shortly after died herself from TB in 1894. At this point, the eldest, my 8 year old g-grandfather Edward Slomowski, was put in to Banstead School, his younger sister Elitha, aged 6, was sent to a George Muller Orphanage in Bristol, where she died of TB aged 14. I can find NO mention of their brother Richard from birth onwards, so would love to know what happened to him? Poor Henry, aged 4, was sent to a school in Brighton and was lost at sea, aged 19, between Mexico and Sydney with all hands. All pretty tragic really.

Charles Harford-Battersley (sic?) (Principal of Livingstone College), who applied for Elitha's admission, gave a list of the relatives, three uncles, an aunt and two brothers.  Henry, as you say, was admitted to a school in Brighton but the other brother was called Edward, and he was admitted to Banstead School.

Offline judem64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 November 22 05:03 GMT (UK) »
I have only just seen this reply!
thank you for confirming my evidence...and still 6 years on I have no further info regarding their 'lost' brother, Richard, who is not mentioned on Elithas admission papers...dead? passed to another relative? who knows!

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 November 22 11:40 GMT (UK) »
judem64,  have you ever established the whereabouts of Sarah Brett/Everett on the 1921 census. In 1911 census Edward & Sarah had 2 children, Julia & Edward. Did they have further children between 1911-1919 when Edward changes his name. If they did do you have birth certs for them and where they were born.

John

Offline judem64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 05:55 GMT (UK) »
apologies for missing this reply...
I have traced Sarah/Edward children forward and have had a recent breakthrough with Edward thanks to DNA.....which after all these years has been a massive treat.
I continue to be in awe of all Edward survived.....lost both parents as a child, grew up in an orphanage, lost all siblings...even his half brother, Sidney, in the war.....childhood trauma indeed......and I have a deep respect for him.

Offline judem64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 05:56 GMT (UK) »
judem64,  have you ever established the whereabouts of Sarah Brett/Everett on the 1921 census. In 1911 census Edward & Sarah had 2 children, Julia & Edward. Did they have further children between 1911-1919 when Edward changes his name. If they did do you have birth certs for them and where they were born.

John
more apologies...
Sarah lived with and eventually married a man called Tite. She remained living in the same small area and one of her daughters is named on the death certificate, so she was in touch with some of her MANY children after Edward left. Its hard to say with accuracy how many of the live births are children of our Sarah from the certiciactes, some have Mr Tite as the father, but many of the interim ones have blank space for the father. DNA will, I suspect offer more interesting answers!