Author Topic: George Edward Dixon & Family 1881 to 1900 & beyond?  (Read 9041 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward Dixon & Family 1881 to 1900 & beyond?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
I now think the Naval Horace is the same chappie?

(*)
1914 Article about Chicagoan man Horace Harcourt Dixon commissioned as  a Lt. in the Royal Naval Brigade. Also mentions he holds a medal from the Spanish American war.

Cheers
AMBLY

Moderator Comment: Broken link removed. May 2014
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 09:19 BST (UK) »
Ambly

Yes that's the link, no wonder  he was travelling backwards & forwards between London & New York, an engineer who became a lawyer with homes in both places it seems, now I can add all those entries I have for him in the archives etc. Quite a member of the in-set in Chicago wasn't he?

Admiralty: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve: Records of Service, First World War. RNVR OFFICERS RECORDS. Officers Service Record Volumes. Name Harcourt-Dixon, Horace. Page Number: 284.

Not in the front line, very much in support,but he 39 in 1915. Seems to have fought in two navies as well.

Yes more to go at now with this man.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 20:39 BST (UK) »
Ambly

According to New Ulm review., June 29, 1904, Image 2

Both the motorman and the conductor were arrested, but later in the day, at the request of George E. Dixon, Jr., son of the victims of the accident, they were released.  Mr. Dixon was president of George E. Dixon & Co., a manufacturers of steam appliances at 64 and 66 West Monroe street.
 & according to The Stark County Democrat., June 28, 1904, WEEKLY EDITION, Image 1 Horace Dixon, a son of the two victims, resides in New York. Both from http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Tom

Offline CDGINCA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 September 13 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I have a family photo taken in the Chicago area marked as being taken in 1910 with a man and woman listed as Horace and Violet Dixon. While looking for information on these two and their connection to my family, I came across this website and this thread. If these are the same Horace and Violet as in your posts, maybe we can connect the dots between them and my family? I tried to post the photo with this post but the file is too big. I would be happy to get it to you by other means if you like.

-Cam

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 September 13 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cam,

Well that's fascinating, if I send you a PM, that's a personal message, then we can contact each other by e-mail. Until you post more messages to this site then you cannot send a PM. It will be interesting to see if there is a connection at all. George Edward Dixon's sister Louisa, is a direct relation of mine.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 May 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Well thanks to that post from Cam, both of us are in constant contact about his family who were neighbours of Horace Dixon and his wife Violet Emily, which I have now conformed was his wife; they married, by licence, in the register office in Scarborough, Yorkshire, England on 1st August 1908, she was only 18, though said she was 21. Both were living at her grandfather's house before the marriage. It was her mother, Emily Dixon, married to solicitor, Albert Dixon, who was on SS Cedric in 1905. I now have photographs of Horace & Violet.
 It seems that after the accident in 1904, there were moves to get legislation through for the tracks of the Aurora, Elgin Tramway to be elevated within the city limits. Is this the start of the El?
However still a mystery of what happened to Horace & Violet Emily after 1920-did they travel back to the USA or go somewhere else? Horace's brother, George Edward, what happened to him after 1910?

Tom

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 May 14 03:00 BST (UK) »
This isn't much help, since it's already been mentioned that his partnership was dissolved around this time, but
London, England electoral register, 1921
Horace "Hareourt-Dixon"
Violet "Harcourt-Dixoii"
  Looking at Violet's typed record, "street address: 3 Chert Hey" but I don't see that on the image.   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 May 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom:

Let's see if this works out...

Cook County, Illinois Marriages
George E Dixon, born c1876 (age 42)
Mrs. Doris J Schultz, age 29
Marriage date and place:  23 January 1918, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois

1940 Los Angeles, LA County, California
George E Dixon, age 65, born England, Naturalized, occupation Philatelist - Private Home
Doris Dixon, wife, age 60, born Oregon
Address:  No New Hampshire, #247

George is in the 1936 LA Directory, same address as above
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 May 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
1930 Osprey, Sarasota, Florida
George E Dixon, age 54, born England as were parents, immigrated 1881, age at first marriage 42, Retired
Doris J Dixon, age 42, born California father born Alsace mother born Australia, age at first marriage 30.
Guests of Ed J Rast and Helen Rast and one Rast daughter.  Mr. Rast was a carpenter - house construction.
The Rasts were born in Ohio.  Ellen Sinclair, sister to Ed Rast, was living with the Rasts.
I cannot read the address but it looks like Treasure Island