Author Topic: George Edward Dixon & Family 1881 to 1900 & beyond?  (Read 9051 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward Dixon & Family 1881 to 1900 & beyond?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 August 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
I found an article in the Oak Park Oak Leaves from 2 Jul. 1904 that indicates a coroner's jury censured the railroad company for the condition of the crossing.  It also quotes a Chicago Tribune editorial from a day or two after the accident.  This article is on www.newspaperarchive.com, which is a subscription site, but non-subscribers can see one free article a day.

There are links to Illinois newspapers online here:  https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa/il  I think an Illinois library card is required to see the Chicago Tribune archives for free.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 August 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links to that newspaper subscription site-I have taken out a months subscription & have seen that entry. A rotten ending to an evening out with friends. The article lead me on to look at the electric railroad systems in Chicago. Will be searching onwards for the Dixon family and other family members who emigrated to USA. Have used the Brooklyn Eagle & many Californian Newspapers in the past.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 August 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
Ambly

This discovery:

TRAVEL 1905:  SS Cedric. Arrived New York 11th Jun 1905,  out of Liverpool 2nd June 1905.
Horace Harcourt,  DIXON  29, single, Engineer, English
Last Residence Surrey, Has last been in US before, in 1905
Travelling with:
Emily DIXON 38, married, Last Residence: Harrogate, Never Before in US
Both of them:
Destination: Chicago, going to: G E DIXON, Pullman Buildings, Chicago

Emily Dixon, nee Spink, was the wife of Albert Dixon, a solicitor, Horace's aunt, she was married to Albert Dixon, Horace's father's brother. She lived in Harrogate, England. Going for a holiday no doubt?

What's the source of this entry please?

Tom

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 August 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
You can see it on www.ellisisland.org.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 August 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shelly

Clearly these people, Ernest Spink, brother to Emily Etta Dixon, nee Spink & Emily Dixon, married to Albert Dixon were going to see George Edward Dixon son of the deceased for reading of will maybe of George Edward Dixon senior-where might that be found, Illiinois state Archives?

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 August 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody for your input-I now have a much better idea of where I am going with this family-there is still much to discover, what happened to Horace & George, what happened to the company set up by their father. I am not sure about that other Horace Harcourt Dixon, the naval officer. Maybe a trip to Chicago to look at the archives just like they do on "Who do you think you are?"

I wont close this thread yet, so please add anything more if you want to.

Tom

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 August 13 20:15 BST (UK) »
Considering that "Who Do You Think You Are?" has me yelling things like, "You can get that death certificate on familysearch.org!" at my TV, I wouldn't try to recreate that experience unless you happen to be in the area.   :)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 August 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
As for Horace, it looks like he may have gone back and forth to England a few times, unless there's 2 guys with similar names floating around.

As mentioned above, he went to Chicago via New York in 1905.

Free BMD has Horace Harcourt Dixon marrying Violet Emily Dixon in 1908 in Scarborough.

In June, 1910, Harcourt Horace Dixon & his wife Violet Dixon sailed to New York, on their way home to Chicago.  They appear to have been listed in the New York Times:  http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F10C1EFF355D16738DDDAC0A94DE405B808DF1D3

As mentioned above, Horace sailed back in 1911.

There is a reference to Horace Harcourt-Dixon being in WWI here -
http://archive.org/stream/innertemplarswho00inne/innertemplarswho00inne_djvu.txt

He & Violet seem to be in London as of 1921.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 August 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
In 1912 & 1913, Horace Harcourt Dixon is mentioned in the Times Digital as passing legal examinations. In 1910, when he and Violet pass through Ellis Island he says he is 45 & she says she is 33, both are not telling the truth it seems, as he was born in 1876 in Bournemouth, and she was born in either 1887 or 1890 in Scarborough, I can't make up my mind yet. If she is Violet Emily Dixon who married Horace Harcourt Dixon, then they are cousins, her mother being Emily Etta Dixon nee Spink, who married Albert Dixon, the brother of George Edward Dixon, the main subject of this thread. Albert Edward Dixon, named after his father Edward, was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire, and he ends up in London, having a solicitor's practice. To make things complicated further, Emily & Albert have a son called Horace Albert Dixon, who has a private education, trains as a solicitor, but goes to prison for fraud. Violet Emily Dixon was born June 1890 in Scarborough., so in 1908 she would have been 18, when she married Horace Harcourt Dixon.  Looks like I will have some further work for this marriage to see who she is exactly. There is another Dixon family sailing to Rochester, another Violet, daughter of a William Dixon of Leeds-her mother is Amy. George Edward Dixon son of Edward Dixon was born in Leeds!

Tom