Author Topic: Looking for infomation regarding Farms  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for infomation regarding Farms
« on: Saturday 03 August 13 02:00 BST (UK) »
 On my GG Grandparents marriage certificate (1840) both their fathers are down as Farmers. GG Grandfather John Owen's father, Rice Owen, is down as Gentleman Farmer. GG Grandmother Emma Elias's father William Elias, is down as Farmer.I would like to know the name of the farms also what type of farm, livestock, cereal or vegatables?. Also, did they own these farms or were they tenants. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to know more than just their names.Oh nearly forgot, place of residence is Llantrisant for the Owen family, and Cregiau which I think is in Lanbadrog for the Elias family.
Thank you.
Brmaenda

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for infomation regarding Farms
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 August 13 02:14 BST (UK) »
Finding the families in the 1841 (and later) census might give you more clues - with addresses for both families plus if you look at their neighbours you may get some indication of the types of farms they had.

Presumably "gentleman farmer" may indicate that he owned the farm, however sometimes occupations were 'enhanced' on certificates to make them appear more well-to-do.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 August 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
For William Elias it seems as if you have the address already.In the 1841 census he is listed(given born 1771,rounded) at Creigia Mawr,Llanbadrig,Clygyrog.There is a copy of his will of 1845 at www.llgc.org.uk  where he is listed as of Creigia,Llanbadrig.I can't help with the type of farm.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 August 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census also has a "Mr Rice Jones"(given born 1781,rounded),of independent means,at Penllyn,Llantrisant.He seems like a strong candidate.

Regards
Roger

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 August 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
It may be worth looking at Tithe maps .

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=221-wr&cid=-1#-1

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/tithe-records.htm#18169
The Tithe apportionment
Most apportionments follow the general pattern set out in the instructions which were issued at the time.
 The standard form of apportionment contains columns for the name(s) of the landowner(s) and occupier(s) (because until the passing of the Tithe Act 1891 the payment of tithe rentcharge was the owner's liability); the number, acreage, name or description, and state of cultivation of each tithe area; the amount of rentcharge payable, and the name(s) of the tithe-owner(
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)