Author Topic: Annie Gillespie-Buncrana b.1895  (Read 18157 times)

Offline teresemk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Gillespie-Buncrana b.1895
« on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
I was only able to get so far with research on my grandmother (Annie Gillespie) via Ancestry.com. I do know she was from Buncrana, born around 1895- and sailed all alone in steerage to to the USA on the "Parisian" at the age of 18 ( Glasgow to Halifax-Halifax to Boston).

Annie married in the USA to an American named John J Murphy. I don't know what other family members she left behind in Buncrana, although a sister eventually followed her to Boston.

The story I have heard is that Annie sailed to the USA without the knowledge of her parents.

If anyone could direct me towards resources for her birth certificate, family member names- that'd be very, very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Terese

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Gillespie-Buncrana b.1895
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
have you not sourced her marriage cert should give parents names.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:38 BST (UK) »
Does the passenger manifest give details of her nearest relative in the U.K.? Unfortunately it will be extremely difficult to find the correct person without more details. A quick search of the 1901 Irish census for ann* gillespie age 6 (+/- 5 years) in Co. Donegal brings up lots of possibilities. A similar search ten years later in the 1911 census shows the same sort of possibilities.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:46 BST (UK) »
Finally found her on 'Parisian' going from Londonderry to Boston- relative (relationship not stated) listed is James Gillespie of Sladrin, Buncrana, Co. Donegal.

Most likely census entries are these-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Mintiaghs/Shadran/1182171
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Mintiaghs/Sladran/492459

Offline teresemk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 August 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for taking the time to look into my grandmother's history. I'm new to this site-and appreciate your efforts. I've been trying to locate a marriage certificate with no luck so far. I did find my great grandfather's draft registration for WW1-so, that was pretty exciting. Also found several census(es) with a bit more info. I'm sure I will be back with more questions. Thank you for you patience with this newby!

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 August 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
I was only able to get so far with research on my grandmother (Annie Gillespie) via Ancestry.com. I do know she was from Buncrana, born around 1895- and sailed all alone in steerage to to the USA on the "Parisian" at the age of 18 ( Glasgow to Halifax-Halifax to Boston).
Thank you so much!
Terese
It lookes like Annie didn't travel alone to Boston. There is an Annie Magee age 18 b. Londonderry with mother Mrs Mary Magee of Sladrin Buncrana on the same passenger list in 1913 and both gave theiir contact in the US as their aunt Annie McLoughlin c/o Miss Blinn 548 Massachusetts Ave Lexington Mass. So it seems they were cousins.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 August 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
It lookes like Annie didn't travel alone to Boston. There is an Annie Magee age 18 b. Londonderry with mother Mrs Mary Magee of Sladrin Buncrana on the same passenger list in 1913 and both gave theiir contact in the US as their aunt Annie McLoughlin c/o Miss Blinn 548 Massachusetts Ave Lexington Mass. So it seems they were cousins.

Ties in with the census record I posted earlier where Annie Gillespie was living with McLaughlin grandparents.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Mintiaghs/Sladran/492459

Offline teresemk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 August 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Well, this is an eye-opening experience. I asked my mother about the people mentioned above, and she didn't think this was the same "Annie Gillespie". My mother said there was no mention of a Catherine (aka "Cassie"), James or Phillip Gillespie.

However-there is most definitely a connection to the McLaughlins of Lexington, MA. My grandmother, Annie Gillespie did indeed head to Lexington once she got to the US. The McLaughlins are related (cousins?).

Thank you for your time on this. I didn't expect anyone to take the time to look into this data, but I appreciate your help and time.

Regards,
Terese

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 August 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't rule out the information just yet- since you have so little detail to start with this could be the correct family.