Author Topic: PRESS family in Castleward  (Read 13450 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PRESS family in Castleward
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 December 13 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Re the Ward family, again the Blackwood family manuscript trees in the Linenhall Library include volumes containing whole or part trees of Ward families, so I presume Amelia should be in one or more of the volumes. The volumes are 3p166 Marcus Ward of Belfast, 14p34 Lisburn Cherryhill, 14 p36 Malone Belfastiensis ie pen name for articles John? Ward, 14 p38 Marcus Ward of Belfast, 22 p5 Castleward, 28 p5 Mountpanther, 28 p6 Vianstown
Also the Burkes landed gentry of Ireland and The visitatiions of Ulster might contain more or less
Has anyone checked the press price connection yet??
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 December 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
To BallyaltKilliganG

I took your advice and phoned the Linenhall Library earlier this week. They have copies of the Ulster Pedigree on the Orr family, which I have been looking to see for years, but my experience was that they were unhelpful. They would not help unless I called in person. I would expect the response to be the same if I asked about the Blackwood material you have mentioned.  However, every cloud has a silver lining, and the bad experience I had with Linenhall made me look to see if I could find the book elsewhere,..........then I found it on amazon on a rare book collection!! You never saw anyone whip out there credit card so fast. I now have the book in my mittens, so will be pouring over it looking for connections this weekend.

Having said this next time I am in Belfast I will make the effort to go there. Is this library likely to have material on the Orr family? I am especially interested in those in the Downpatrick/Strangford area.   Most of my family research has been obtained from Proni.  All ideas most welcome.
Orr of Welshestown, Carrowcarlin, Ballyculter, Strangford. Creighton of Grangecam / Down. Megarry of Grangecam/ Down. Ennis / Innes of Grangecam / Down. McKee of Quoile, Downpatrick. Edgar of Quoile, Erinagh, Downpatrick. Ross of Killiyleagh / Shrigley. Dobson of Portadown.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 December 13 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Please be generous minded to the LinenHall Library as it is a real gem of a surviving institute from 1788.  Enjoy your visit. Don’t underestimate its resources.  I was employed in it for over 10 years.  Even though I was given free rein to all of the library resources during that time, there were so many more treasures that I didnt unearth or even can still imagine. If I were you I would plan staying the whole day in it and you may find items the staff don’t know about!  I hurriedly made the index to the Blackwood MSS family tree collection for my own use ;D about 1961, already mentored within weeks by a Bookman Jimmy Vitty., the Librarian.  I wanted to give the best info possible to members and visitors finding their family history.   I already had other outside interests, nevertheless my index was prepared outside library hours in haste and I encountered difficulties completing it, volumes were borrowed or moved before I could allocate numbers to them. My index cards were accidently taken by a governor who thought they were scrap catalogue cards, just after staff member Miss ? Stanley typed them up, as directed by the Governors who had decided they would allow it to be typed at the libraries expense, and she had had difficulties in transcribing my dyslexic pecularities.  The Orr entries, demonstrate my problems, so my apologies for this my 1961 exercise.  {I learnt much from that experience see the start of the librarys over a ¼ million items of the NI political empheral collection or my work on Irish Booklore.  To bring you uptodate on the Blackwood Collection however read
http://irishgenealogical.org/sites/default/files/memsepts/2007281.pdf
which is the Irish Genealogical Society International quarterly journal called the Septs - the Jan 2007 issue contains, a clear article about the Blackwood Collection by David Rencher pages 16-21 plus he mentions he has completed an index that supplements/ supercedes  mine.  I think David Rencher who I have just discovered has done an excellent job, and wish I had been told about his work by Librarians Gray or Killen who knew my address and desire to have the collection reindexed properly.

Your Surname Interests expanded a little by me :
Creighton of Grangecam / Down. Could this include in Blackwood CRICHTON Vol 6 p76 and contains a Clarke line.
Edgar of Quoile, Erinagh, Downpatrick. LHL has two entries for Edgar in Blackwood vol 21 and vol 22
Ennis or Innes nothing listed, but I met another bookman mentor of the Innes name in Cambridge Univ Library cataloguing dept in 1968.
McKee of Quoile, Downpatrick. LHL has in Black wood a McKEE Vol 8?N
Megarry of Grangecam/ Down. LHL has in Blackwood  a MEGARRY tree Vol 4 p2
Orr of Welshestown, Carrowcarlin, Ballyculter, Strangford. Jim thinks which or what Ulster Orr pedigree. Sounds like Ray Jones Ulster Pedigrees : Descendants, in many lines, of James Orr and Janet Mc Clement who emigrated from.... San Francisco : Printed by the author, 1977. I can imagine also another in the Ulster visitations series about 9 or 11 volumes white leather or white linen outside the irish section, BUT I remember a copied manuscript in manuscript of the Adair or Orr family., once held in their strongroom, My Orr entries for Blackwood are sadly thus ORR 23?, ??
Ross LHL has in Blackwood Volume 90 {this a late number which meant I didnt see it in the first volumes I unpacked , it was possibly kept in the Strong Room and perhaps the whole book is about the Ross family, and a special binding ?

Anyway good luck onwards Jim
worldwide

Offline Debbie McBride

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 April 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi bally2

I was reading this conversation earlier today, my interest is the Moore family from Strangford/Ballyculter area, James Moore born in 1838 was my gt gt grandfather. You mentioned you found names and dates of birth in an old family bible, is there any way you can post photos of those entries? Or could you email them to me? I would love to see them. I have visited the church in Ballyculter and found the Moore grave mentioned in the churchyard. It would be lovely to see the entries in the bible too.

Many thanks

Debbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 01 April 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
Someone couldn’t find the building remains of i think Michael Press's homestead within Ballyculter parish.  Griffiths valuation website askaboutireland shows 
1863 Michael Press living in the townland of Audleystown map ref 1g
has a house office valued at £1 fifteen shillings pa with garden 24 perches. the group of tenants houses from 1c to 1k are visible on that map there are 3 identical block cde fgh ijk so Michael homestead 1g is the middle part of the centre block.   They appear to be still standing. take the northern road leading out of CastleWard ie park road and you get the view of TempleWater and the  and lake as you drive north westerly towards then turning slightly left you drive past the three blocks of terrace house on your left.

1863 Jane Press lived in the townland of Ballyculter Upper map ref 8m has a house valued at £1 five shillings peer annum and garden 18 perches the ref 8m is very disappointing the housing is one long rectangular building on a current satelite view the roof appears reddish surrounded by overgrown bushes southwards on the satellite view are 3 small rectangular shapes that might be the three of the original building foundations  however switching to googles 2008 satellite map I think a house no 41 on the audleystown road is 100 yards to the west of an unmarked road that runs northwardsand if you take the first lane to the right you are there,, it could have been a sort of long house with several families packed into it.

a sad article entitled Mystery of the vanishing County Down village Audley's Town By Claire Savage BBC News
at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17737197 is worth reading
good luck and i encourage all to visit the area for a week
worldwide

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
There were Press living in Portaferry, Suasan Press married a chap called Reed, Bob Press lived in Church Street.